H4n Recording and headphones

rundown9

Okay,

Guitar+amp+RP500+H4n recorder+headphones

when I connect : Guitar>RP500:input. RP500output(left mono)>amp:input. Amp:record out>H4n:input1. Headphones to H4n

I do listen while recording but there's something wrong with sound, it has 'an electric static effect' which is pretty dope for my music! But how can I record the sound coming out of the amp as it is without any additional effects??

Thank you!

How about telling us what amp it is? Is the amp 'record out' a line-level signal? What kind of connection?

My amp is Line6 Spider III 15W, and I've no idea about the rest :D *noob shame*

---------- Update ----------

Thanks, it's H4n, yes

My amp is Line6 Spider III 15W, and I've no idea about the rest :D *noob shame*

---------- Update ----------

Thanks, it's H4n, yes

Perhaps it's time to learn then. If "what kind of connection" is too technical for you, perhaps recording isn't for you.

If I said "what kind of connection is between your guitar and your amp?", you could answer it, yes? Same thing.:thumbs up:

Perhaps it's time to learn then. If "what kind of connection" is too technical for you, perhaps recording isn't for you.

If I said "what kind of connection is between your guitar and your amp?", you could answer it, yes? Same thing.:thumbs up:

Well, if you weren't too busy being mean, you'd guess that I'm assuming 1/4 is the standard(if not the only) connection for this stuff, thus comes my confusion. And if you lack the knowledge of something as basic as knowing that H4n's input only requires an 1/4, then I pretty much doubt your capability of helping me.

Anyways! Comebacks aside, I'd really appreciate it if you can help me.

Okay,

Guitar+amp+RP500+H4n recorder+headphones

when I connect : Guitar>RP500:input. RP500output(left mono)>amp:input. Amp:record out>H4n:input1. Headphones to H4n

I do listen while recording but there's something wrong with sound, it has 'an electric static effect' which is pretty dope for my music! But how can I record the sound coming out of the amp as it is without any additional effects??

Thank you!

Hi again,
It looks like your amp has a headphone/direct out via quarter inch jack. The direct out is most likely line level.
The zoom h4n appears to have mic or hi-z inputs. Hi-z means instrument level - ie. straight from the guitar.

If the above is correct, and you're using the 14" inch inputs, then your amplifier's output is going to be too hot for the zoom and the noise you hear is probably clipping or distortion.
You might get away with lowering the amp's direct output level if it has a control for that, but it's still a makeshift solution.

If you're using the 1/8" mic input then it's the same problem but worse as it expects a microphone level signal which would be much lower than instrument level.

Your best bet is to get a recording device with line level inputs, or to use a microphone in front of the amp.
The latter is always going to yield the best sound.

Hope that's helpful.

Hi again,
It looks like your amp has a headphone/direct out via quarter inch jack. The direct out is most likely line level.
The zoom h4n appears to have mic or hi-z inputs. Hi-z means instrument level - ie. straight from the guitar.

If the above is correct, and you're using the 14" inch inputs, then your amplifier's output is going to be too hot for the zoom and the noise you hear is probably clipping or distortion.
You might get away with lowering the amp's direct output level if it has a control for that, but it's still a makeshift solution.

If you're using the 1/8" mic input then it's the same problem but worse as it expects a microphone level signal which would be much lower than instrument level.

Your best bet is to get a recording device with line level inputs, or to use a microphone in front of the amp.
The latter is always going to yield the best sound.

Hope that's helpful.

I used to connect the H4n to the RP500's right(stereo) along with the amp connected the the left(mono), it records great but of course, it only records from the RP without the amp. I guess I'll have to experiment more with the wiring and setups.
Unfortunately, for the time being I can only play guitar with headphones on, so the mic thing won't work for me.

Thank you, thank you!

Back