Guitar/Vocals simultaneous - "Missed the Boat" by Modest Mouse cover

Brian Miller

Hey everyone,

I have always recorded guitar and vocals separately with great success, and I advocate this technique constantly on the forums. However I am working on an interpretation of "Missed the Boat" by Modest Mouse, a song with great significance in my life, and I'm just in the early demo stages right now. No matter how many times I tried to record the parts separately I just couldn't get the feel of the song right. So finally I decided to record simultaneously, and I'm hoping for some feedback before I go any further.

The primary performance here is the acoustic guitar/vocal performance recorded together (starts 0:18). There is also a vocal double I tracked separately doing the whistling sections and loud choruses later in the song, and a MIDI cello performance that I did very quickly.

Forget about the mixing/production aspects because this is just a demo as I'm getting a feel for how I want to do the final recording (and I can give a much better performance than what is recorded). What do you think about the separation of the acoustic/voice? Thoughts and/or techniques you prefer and would like to share?

Thanks!

Brian

Last edited:
I would suggest covering a better Modest Mouse song…haha kidding. The only weird thing I hear with it is that during the verse, you strum the chords instead of that fingerpicked riff from the beginning of the song. I am sure that makes it easier when singing and playing at the same time. But since you ultimately prefer tracking guitar and vocals separately, I would go ahead and do it with the tricky riff underneath the vocals like it is in the actual song. Otherwise, fine job.

Thanks for your feedback dudernut. The reason I strum the verses is because when I play this live it keeps the song moving forward, and also I focus on doing interpretations rather than covers. Still, I have the intention of doing the verse riff with a dirty electric guitar later in the process. There is a lot of instrumentation that I haven't added yet. I want to get the core of the song down before adding stuff. Appreciate you listening!

Can't listen now (at work), but when I've been faced with this same type of quandry, I find just laying down the guitar/vocal take as scratch tracks is the best thing, then I can go back and retrack things separately.

Back