Guitar tones.

adosjky

How does one create a beautiful guitar tone on FLStudio 12 using VSTs.

I have no amplifier, and plug straight into my computer via an alesis io2

The reply you're going to get a lot of is that guitar tone is very subjective and thus what I see as a beautiful guitar tone might be viewed by you as harsh and unpleasant.

But as giving yourself access to tones, you're going to need a VST that handles for starts amp simulation. I don't use FLStudio so I don't know if it comes with any plugins for that purpose. However, I know Amplitube offers a free version that includes something like 4 amps along with some free effects (distortion, phase, reverb, delay). I'm sure people who have been doing this longer will know of some other options. Just google free vsts and you will find literally hundreds of tools for shaping your guitar sound.

I assume that getting an amp and micing it is not an option for you. This has been the case for me for a while also. I purchased the BOSS GT-1 multieffects pedal ($199) and have been extremely happy with it. It has every effect you could think of and multiple variations of each. Most importantly for you, it also has amp simulation with 10+ amps to choose from. You can plug it into your computer and design tones as well as download them. I thought I would be disappointed with something so digital after using a tube amp but I really like the sounds that it produces. For $199 I think it will give you a lot to play with for a long time.

Dont assume you need vsts to do this. Plenty of good pedals, multifx units with amp sims will do that. Anything you use takes time to find a good sound.

Actually, you can get good sounds with EQ, effects, etc. without amp sims. Amp sims just give you a simulated sound of an amp. You don't have to have one and just by sculpting the sound with tools you probably already have could give you what you want.

I've quickly realised that most of the amps add too much, however, I'm trying to develop a system. A more logical way of finding the tone I'm looking for as opposed to fumbling haphazardly onto what I want.

Some people call haphazard experimenting. That's how you get new tones or "that tone"!

I used to use Fruity Loops ages ago when I was making a lot of loop based songs, but then I wanted to record more live guitar, bass ect. So I moved over to Adobe Audition which I found a lot easier to multi-track and had some decent on-board guitar/distortion effects to play with too. As for plugins I use both Amplitube and Guitar Rig and cant hear the difference between the 2, however I do find Guitar Rig easier to use. Guitar Plug ins are great, especially when you have kids and want to jam on in to the night. My Fender D/reverb amp only sounds good loud...

I think my main concern is getting that full sound, as opposed to the actual tone.

I've got a lot of work to do.

I generally like a clean sound, with maybe a little colour.. But everything I record always sounds so thin.

Some folks are better than others with this but I generally start with a basic amp sim and get that sounding like a real amp - pretty doable these days. (I don’t say “feels like” because I don’t want to have that discussion.)

All of the sims in have reverb, tremolo/vibrato with option to time sync plus gain and master volume. Keep twisting knobs until it sounds like what you’re shooting for (reference tracks!).

Figure out EQ and compression when it’s time to mix.

I’ve used several tube amps as well as modelers and solid state. If I’m just adding myself I usually opt for a mic in front of the one amp (SS) I have, but if I’m happy using a sim when I think that’s a better option.

Reading through some of these replies, I think I've been adding too much, so I'm got to try recording a funky guitar part tomorrow and see how I do. Thanks everyone.

FunkGuitar by Andre Dosjky | Free Listening on SoundCloud

This is a very short piece of funk guitar.

I recorded it using FLStudi 12.

Input going through FabFilter Pro G - Edison

Then I chopped the recording and quantized it all manually.

then sent the recording to another channel and added FabFilter Pro Q 2, took all the low out and enhanced the top end slightly.

Then added a wah effect, which I automated between 100% and 50%, then I put a little bit of reverb on.

All suggestions for improvement are very welcome. Thank you.

Bonus points if you tell me the time signature.

Short is right.

By itself, it's hard to evaluate because clearly it's not a solo guitar number you're working on. But, it sounds like it's missing highs or presence/brightness and attack, which should be there, unless you've got the tone dialed way back on the guitar.

I usually put the compressor after the EQ, and do it on a the recorded track if it's a single guitar, and only resort to busses (for non-reverb/delay) if I've got multiple instruments that can use the same effect. Certainly, when trying to sort out recording issues, I'd keep it simpler, and put everything except the reverb on this track.

A "little bit of reverb" maybe but it has a distant sound to it. Maybe play with the pre-delay or a different kind of reverb, though at this point, I'd probably only be using a spring reverb in the amp sim (which I guess you aren't using), so maybe try that as a plugin. IOW, I'd like to be evaluating a guitar tone reverb, and that doesn't seem to be what I'm hearing. (I am often wrong, however!)

I never even thought to adjust the tone knob or the selector. D'oh!

I'm struggling at the minute to get things sorted as I don't have a lot of time at home alone.

I'll try swapping the reverb out and see how it sounds.

I've not put any compression on it. I just didn't think it needed it.

I've quickly realised that most of the amps add too much, however, I'm trying to develop a system. A more logical way of finding the tone I'm looking for as opposed to fumbling haphazardly onto what I want.

Have you heard the type of tone you are looking for in anyone else's music? If you have, you can probably find out what they used, to point you in the right direction.

No sense using Marshall sims, if you are looking for something that sounds like a Roland Jazz Chorus.

Now that I heard the clip, you want a sim of a Fender twin or Princeton. It also needs to be relatively bright.

Back