Guitar tones.

Anyone think there might be a problem using the gate on the input, or is that standard practice?
I'd say it's not standard practice for me. In fact I've never used one, but you might find a place for it in some mixes, e.g., vs. editing out parts or using automation I suppose.

My question is why did you put it on the track? There should be a reason for everything, though, admittedly, some things, like a hi-pass, do tend to become standard practices.

When I turn the volume up there is little bit of a quiet hum, so instead of cutting out afterwards, I just don't record it.

But if it's not affecting the upper register then it's not an issue I suppose.

You would be better off using a hum remover. A gate can cut off the natural decay of a note.

It might be a better idea to find out why it hums and fix that.

"...clean...thin.." The problem is not so much an amp situation as it is a speaker. When you mic a speaker it is pushing air, a physical reaction you cant really duplicate. However, I recommend a compressor with a slower attack and somewhat quick release. About 4:1 ratio. Then bring that input up and the output down until you see about 4-6 db reduction. That will give the guitar a fuller sound with some push up front, but without causing much if any distortion in your clean sound.

How does one create a beautiful guitar tone on FLStudio 12 using VSTs?
One tries but doesn't achieve beauty.
Listen to Farview, he'll guide you safely and less subjectively.

I've kind of got Princes 'sexy M. F.' in mind, but he let's the chord ring out, where as I'm muting the f out of it. So his time wouldn't be quite right.

Anyway I'm fairly happy with the tone now.

Turns out I was being a knob and bit adjusting my guitar pots. D'oh!

I forgot about trying a hum remover. I'll have a look at that tonight.

Cheers everyone. Already this forum has improved my work.

Now to ask about writing drum parts. Lol

Back