guitar plugin?

ollie99

hi,
I don't really know that much about recording, only the basics to be honest.
I've been recording for less than 2 years and during that time I have used pod farm and pod farm 2 for guitar sounds. I used the ux1 and ux2 with these, recording onto ableton live lite 7.
The results have been okay, but I find the guitar distortion way too crackly and dirty. Is this pod farm, the interface or ableton? or a mixture?
I've bought a behringer mixer, and I am aware I will not be able to use pod farm with it, so what is the best guitar plug in I should use for a relatively cheap price?
The tones I want is the rhythm and solo of avenged sevenfold, obviously Im not going to get that close to this but at least can the distortion not be crackly? I also want a good clean sound.
Or should I get a sm57 and mic my marshall mg50fx? would that be better?
Any help would be appreciated :)
Thanks

A Mic on your amp may get you the sound you want. Assuming you can use UX1 or UX2 as your audio interface (the mic will plug into it). If you are not happy with the PodFarm 2 sounds (you need to tweek and not just use the presets), you probably won't like any other guitar fx plugin much more.

oh thats a shame, I always made my tones from scratch anyway. I suppose my next buy will be an sm57 which will also fit nicely with the snare :)

I prefer micing my amp.

But, when I can't I've been using amplitube free, and getting some really good sounds. It's cool because it's free and comes with some pretty good basic amps, then you can buy individual amps and gear modeled after the real thing. I have an Orange Rockerverb50 and Fender Twin in real life, and the amplitube versions are pretty freakin good.

It's way more fun to mic the real amp and play, but for when you can't amplitube free is great.

never liked pod farm...own most of the plugs and a couple of amps..I use Live as well...but Ive found zooms g3 by far the best...great editor, great sounds..plug'n'play...works as an interface as well

The NRR-1 and Le456 plugins are great amp sims, with KeFIR or LeCab used for cab impulse loading. All free and you can find quite a few impulses for free around the interwebs too. But don't let them being free make you think they are in any way bad quality. Check them out and then decide if you like them.

I'm confused, I tried to download them but my laptop wont let me open them and it says it can search the web to find out what to open it with. Then I downloaded some kind of dll fixer but Im not really sure what's going on. Why cant I download it and just start playing? Whaaats goooing onnnn????

I'm confused, I tried to download them but my laptop wont let me open them and it says it can search the web to find out what to open it with. Then I downloaded some kind of dll fixer but Im not really sure what's going on. Why cant I download it and just start playing? Whaaats goooing onnnn????

They are plugins, you have to open them through your DAW.

move the dll into whatever folder your DAW reads plugins from (usually in the preferences you can see where that is) then it should show up as an option in your DAW when you load a plugin.

Oh and you'll probably have to restart your DAW after moving the dll, and maybe restart the computer.

Oh and are you using a MAC or PC? MAC's don't like a lot of plugins, and I don't think they read dll anyway.

I downloaded the le456, it was in a zip file and I put it in the custom folder i made. Then in preferences on ableton I selected my "plugins" folder in the VST Plug-in custom folder. When I rescanned nothing came up and when I restarted ableton still nothing came up. Is there something else I need to do to the zip file or ableton?

Pro Tools Eleven is actually pretty good. Nothing beats the real thing (mic setup on high quality tube amp) but you can squeeze some great sounds out of eleven. I like to run two of the plugins at the same time with two different amp models to dial in the sound I like.

Pro Tools Eleven is actually pretty good. Nothing beats the real thing (mic setup on high quality tube amp) but you can squeeze some great sounds out of eleven. I like to run two of the plugins at the same time with two different amp models to dial in the sound I like.

If you're already recording through an amp, an amp modeller would be fairly pointless.

I find once you find that great guitar sound, all big and crunchy by itself, it doesn't lay in the mix right. When you turn down the guitar to be under the vocals, it tends to just sound fuzzy. Turn down the distortion a bit and I think you'll find the guitar sounds better in the mix.

Back