Guitar FX, Amp/Cab simulators, etc....

Yeah, I'm not inspired to record a good guitar tone right now. I'll just re-amp later. I'm not inspired to tune a drum. I'll just use samples later. I'm not inspired to sing in key. I'll just autotune later. I'm not inspired to cut the grass right now. I'll call the lawn guy tomorrow. (I really don't ever cut my own grass)

reamping and drum samples have nothing to do with each other. Unless you could somehow capture a raw drum performance without the actual acoustic drums and somehow get that out of your daw and onto another drum kit and re record?!?!?!
I'm not being clear. It has nothing to do with the desire "not" to record a good tone. But with the capibility. In reamping, u still have to do all that is required to capture a good tone. Am i missing something??? I mean, it's really a unique situation. Other than electric guitar and electric bass. What other instrument can you do that with???
Piano, hey when I was in Nightbird Studio in LA they had this grand piano that would accept midi performance and recreate them. I mean, the piano would actually play. In a perfect room, with great mics. How is that any different?

DCFX Mark IV Disklavier PRO - Grand Pianos - Disklavier Pianos - Pianos & Keyboards - Musical Instruments - Products - Yamaha United States

You're never gonna convince me otherwise. Re-amping, samples, it's the playground for the lazy and/or untalented. If you wanna experiment with amps, then great. Bring your guitar along. Actually playing through the actual amp is part of the process to me. A great guitar track to me is the interaction between human, instrument, amp, and speaker. It's not human, guitar, then three months later an amp and a speaker.

Yes. You're missing just doing it right to begin with.

I understand that. But not everybody has a selection of mics, not everyone has a great room, not everyone has a selection of amps. I can totally see where someone could capture the best tone possible with what they have and it still not be right. Reamping is viable solution. I mean, alot of your guitar tone is in the hands. If I got a great chickin pickin take, but it was on my crate halfstack miced with a nady pencil mic, and I had the option of reamping it with a 57 and a fatboy on a Dr. Z head with a 2 -12 cab, I would do it.

I understand that. But not everybody has a selection of mics, not everyone has a great room, not everyone has a selection of amps. I can totally see where someone could capture the best tone possible with what they have and it still not be right. Reamping is viable solution. I mean, alot of your guitar tone is in the hands. If I got a great chickin pickin take, but it was on my crate halfstack miced with a nady pencil mic, and I had the option of reamping it with a 57 and a fatboy on a Dr. Z head with a 2 -12 cab, I would do it.

Or you could just play it again and make it better.

Right on. I do believe reamping is totally different than samples, sims etc. You have have to perform the part on the instrument. Hard for me to dismiss it as at least an option, and even more difficult for me to call it lazy or untalented. Drum replacement yes.

Or you could just play it again and make it better.

Indeed you could, but damn my reamp take is better. I only have today to record with this killer amp, but the mood and lighting here is all wrong. There's no vibe and no lava lamp. It's killin my mojo. :)

Interesting thread. Re-amping will not transfer the performance to different gear. The best tube amplifiers react to the dynamics of the player. A signal that has been converted to digital, reconverted to analog and thrown at an amp will not have the dynamics. It may sound good but if the original was a true grit performance something will be lost.

Just my opinion of course. I've never dicked around with reamping but I have some nice tube amps and I know how they respond.

Interesting thread. Re-amping will not transfer the performance to different gear. The best tube amplifiers react to the dynamics of the player. A signal that has been converted to digital, reconverted to analog and thrown at an amp will not have the dynamics. It may sound good but if the original was a true grit performance something will be lost.

Just my opinion of course. I've never dicked around with reamping but I have some nice tube amps and I know how they respond.

This ^^^^^^^

It's interesting that you speak with such authority then.

What authority? I said it was just my opinion based on how tube amps react to playing dynamics. Do you have experience to the contrary? Do playing dynamics transfer to digital as enhanced 1s and 0s?

I would be delighted to learn more on this fascinating subject. What do you know?

I've been thinking about getting a DI box for bass and acoustic now I'm wondering if there is one box that will serve both purposes; split the output so you can drive an amp but also record direct and also take an interface out to send to an amp.

Anybody know?

I think that's the idea. If I don't have access to a particular tube amp, I can then reamp later using such an amp and see what I get. May not be better, but then again it might. I certainly agree some parts, styles, guitars may do better than others. Certainly not prepared to say reamping is not a viable option, or for lazy untalented people.
Take a look at the Avalon U5. Great DI box. I've used it mostly for bass. Not sure why you would ever want a direct acoustic signal.

Convenience. No room sound. No mics. I don't do gentle acoustic ballads.

That Avalon is too expensive. Do you know of a box that goes both ways?

Back