Guitar Amp Mic Placement

CMolena

Hello everyone! This is my first post ever in this forum, so please forgive me if I say anything stupid.

I've been recording at home for a year now, and I still dont have a SM57 to record amps (heard that mic the best option for that) but, I do have a MXL V67 condenser mic.

So, placing the mic around the amp, I discovered a position that suited both my ears and my brain with the sound and I want to ask you guys if my assuption about why it worked is right.

IMG_20141220_140227.jpg

I aimed it to the center of the amp but I kinda twisted it to the side, about 8 inches away. The result was..its has lots of low end, but it picked up a lot of the brighter tone too.

Does this "twist" to the right side shown in the image made that possible?

Again, sorry if I say anything stupid or obvious.

Thanks in advance!!!:guitar::guitar::guitar:

In general, pointing the mic at the center of the speaker will give you a bright sound. As you move the mic towards the edge of the speaker, the sound will get darker. Putting a mic at the center and aiming it toward the edge of the speaker could give you what you need.

There is no single right way to mic an amp. The sound of the amp and the sound of the mic AND the sound you are trying to get will all factor into where the mic needs to be place in that instance. If you find something you are happy with, there is no need to do anything else.

As ever, check out Sound on Sound Aug 07 for what is perhaps the definitive article on micc'ing an amp.

Dave.

The center/bright, edge/dark thing becomes less defined the further you move the mic away from the cab. At that point, all bets are off depending on the volume and the room.

The center/bright, edge/dark thing becomes less defined the further you move the mic away from the cab. At that point, all bets are off depending on the volume and the room.

I noted that the OP's mic has a max SPL figure of 130dB and no pad that I can see? He would not want to get it too close therefore if he is giving it some.

Dave.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

One thing that I've noticed about recording a guitar amp with a condenser mic, is that it feels more...wider than as if it was recorded with a dynamic, even though it is a cardioid as most of the popular dynamic mics are.

But I will check out all of the information you guys texted here. Thanks again!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, guys!

One thing that I've noticed about recording a guitar amp with a condenser mic, is that it feels more...wider than as if it was recorded with a dynamic, even though it is a cardioid as most of the popular dynamic mics are.

Maybe that's cuz you have it a fucking foot away, picking up more room and shit.

I like pointing the mic at the edge of the dust cap on a 45 degree angle around 2-3 inches off the grill. Seems to be a good starting point.

So, placing the mic around the amp, I discovered a position that suited both my ears and my brain with the sound and I want to ask you guys if my assuption about why it worked is right.

Forget the brain; the most important thing is to suit your ears.
You will find a lot of concepts and reasoning in the interwebz, and different schools of micing a cab.
Try everything, make mental notes of the trends you will start to see and keep on making records with it, but don't get lost in reasoning.

Back