Great article for home recordists in current Tape Op

Ricklh

Tape Op's current issue that I just received yesterday has a really good one-page article about a band called Nerve Generator and the leader, James Botha, talks about how he records the band to an 8-track Tascam Portastudio cassette unit, and doesn't do computers. His "only electric guitar" is a Fender Jaguar. As someone just really getting started in basic home recording, I found the article very inspirational in that it doesn't matter how small your set-up or equipment, it's what you do with it that counts. Highly-recommended reading for us beginners or intermediate-level home recording hobbyists. The article's not on line but the mag link is: http://www.tapeop.com

:D 2nd that, subscriptions are free, The magazine is like this forum board= Grassroots !!

Go to website for subscription.

da MUTT

Ditto!

Just got the new issue last night.

The Manitoba article is cool and the Michael Brauer article is very enlightning.

Tape Op rocks.

Even though its free I'm going to send them the money I used to use for a Recording subscription.

They deserve it.

-mike

Ricklh said:
Tape Op's current issue that I just received yesterday has a really good one-page article about a band called Nerve Generator and the leader, James Botha, talks about how he records the band to an 8-track Tascam Portastudio cassette unit, and doesn't do computers. His "only electric guitar" is a Fender Jaguar. As someone just really getting started in basic home recording, I found the article very inspirational in that it doesn't matter how small your set-up or equipment, it's what you do with it that counts.

Yea, but wouldn't it be funny if we all went out and listened to some Nerve Generator . . . and they sounded like total, complete ass ? ?

So then we all got depressed because we came to the stunning realization that cassette portastudios and shitty guitars just sound God awful revolting, no matter how many magazine articles people write about them ?

That would suck.

:D :D

How long does it take to get a copy of Tape Op?

I have sent in for subscriptions 3 times and still no magazine.
I can't believe "they rock" if they won't even mail you a copy when you're willing to pony up!

When people say how great it is, all I can think of what b.s.

Re: Re: Great article for home recordists in current Tape Op

chessrock said:
Yea, but wouldn't it be funny if we all went out and listened to some Nerve Generator . . . and they sounded like total, complete ass ? ?

So then we all got depressed because we came to the stunning realization that cassette portastudios and shitty guitars just sound God awful revolting, no matter how many magazine articles people write about them ?

That would suck.

:D :D

Of course it sounds like ass. So does every other released portastudio recording that I've ever heard including Springsteen and Ozzy. I'm not saying they were bad albums but the sonics bite.

Tape Op = The Shite
Love it.

That article was cool. BTW - the MP3s on their website sound great!! Except for the tinny synth...
The vox, drums, bass and guit sounded awesome to me.

There's an article about them in one of the earlier issues that was reprinted in the book.

Yea, I just had a listen, too.

Doesn't sound at all like ass, does it?

I think the minimalist recording thing really works to their advantage. Kind of gives them a personality; ala some of the earlier Ween records, Devo, etc. I don't think it would sound right if it was more polished. Cool stuff.

Back