Good recording device for amateur singer?

Kendi Sy

Hello! My good friend is a great singer and I really believe that a better recording system could help her in her music career. It's her birthday soon so I wanted to buy her a simple voice/guitar recording set. (focused more on voice)

She only has a Windows laptop to edit her recordings with. She does not have any other professional equipment. Could you suggest any essential devices that she could start with? She definitely wants a microphone, but I am not 100% sure if that's what she should start with. Can it work connect to a laptop? Doesn't it have to have a recorder system too? What about those excess noise removers (I am not sure of the technical term, but it looks like the flat device in front of the microphone?)?

It would even be better if you can suggest specific brand names or device specs. Money is limited so hopefully something around 100 USD or less. We also go to a boarding school abroad so it would be nice if it's portable.

Thanks for the help!

She needs an audio interface and a microphone. That way she can connect great vocal microphones to her laptop. For 150 USD you can (assuming she has USB ports on her laptop which most do) get her a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which would be perfect for her needs. She would need a microphone too though, something like the Rode NT-1. There is an NT-1 package with everything you need except the audio interface (and obviously the laptop).

LINK: Amazon.com : Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2 In/2 Out USB Recording Audio Interface : Computer Audio Interfaces : Musical Instruments

LINK: Amazon.com : Rode NT1A Anniversary Vocal Condenser Microphone Package : Musical Instruments

If you want something more portable you can get her a Zoom H4n portable recorder. In that case you wouldn't need the audio interface but it is much more of a hassle to edit and stuff. The in-built microphones are not good for vocals so you should advice her to get another microphone like the NT-1 I mentioned.

LINK: http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Handy-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B001QWBM62/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1392897653&sr=1-1&keywords=h4n

I would not go cheaper than that. Good luck.

Agreed - don't bother with anything that will 'let her record' for under $100. The only choice would be a cheap USB microphone and the quality and future expandibility will be missing. She'll also need a 'DAW' (that's recording software - most interfaces come with a limited edition one).
Audio interface, microphone, mic cable, headphones are immediate needs. Also need a mic stand, a pop filter (that 'noise remover' you mention), and monitor speakers next.
Here's one starter package at Amazon. here's another.
Other than that, give her a gift certificate for Sweetwater or Guitar Center and let her get what she wants.

While I'm in agreement with the suggestions above to have a "decent" setup..........

- OP looking for better recording system for friend. What does the friend have presently?
- Birthday present for good friend (how much would you be willing to spend on a "good" friend?)
- Limited money... $100 or less. Not expecting the best, but better than what the friend currently has(?)
- No idea of the technical capability of the good friend or the person giving the gift to get hardware and software working. My wife can sing, but if I handed her an interface and software, it just ain't gonna happen without some significant amount of help from somewhere.
- Pretty likely the person receiving the gift won't have a clue about room treatment or wouldn't want to bother with unless they got more serious about recording.

Good points. I interpreted "only has a Windows laptop to edit her recordings with" as just using a standard built-in Skype-microphone.

Just got my SoS today and there is a review of the Olympus LS12 handheld recorder.
The guy found it hard to say anything bad about it!

£150 THO'

Dave.

I think that the H4n might be the way to go. You *might* be lucky to find one on the bay used for around 100€. It is no 'real' vocal mic, so voices tend to sound thin, but it gives alot more depth than the (cellphone? skype mic) solution she's prolly using now... And you can add external mics, too, even the 'pro' ones that need phantom power. Be careful to get it with software, as U can use it as a two (four???) channel interface, too. Afaik, the smaller ones, like H2 don't have the possibility of using external mics, and I dunno whether they can be used as interfaces for the computer.

I often use the zoom to do quick recordings of mixes, as it is so easy to use. You have the possibility of using a simple compressor and could even do 4-track recordings on the machine.

Its funny when people come out with equipment for under $100, like the Sound Blaster R3. If you're just recording for fun that's good, but if you're actually recording something that will be uploaded to YouTube or published, then that won't be good enough. There's the saying, "You're only as strong as your weakest link."

Good luck in your searches!

Focusrite do an 'iTrack Solo' studio deal that comes with a mic and headphones...

The iTrack interface works on PC, Mac and iPad (lots of recording apps now: Cubasis, Auria etc) and the mic and headphones although not best quality certainly offer enough for a singer/songwriter to get good quality recordings down. One mic preamp (same as the ones in the Scarlett's) and a guitar/instrument input...

To top it off it's nicely packaged and would IMO make a really nice gift for someone interested in making a leap to home recording.

I sometimes tend to buck general opinions around here on occasion particularly when it comes to making it real simple for someone to get a start in recording on a limited budget.

- Audio Technica ATR2100 USB mic - Dynamic that can can be used either USB into a laptop or PC or XLR and will reject room noise well.
Amazon.com : Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone : Vocal Dynamic Microphones : Musical Instruments

- Audacity - Free, basic and about as simple as it gets.

These may not be up to the quality for most around here, but likely adequate for someone starting out.....
Both with an ATR2100 and Audacity.
Lesa sings "Mad World" Gary Jules version (with lyrics) - YouTube
The Lost One And The Seeker - YouTube

Hi Mark,
Whilst I am right with you on principle...it is often better all round to K.I.S.Sir, my experience with a cheap (50quid) CAPACITOR usb mic is that you have to be pretty close up and personal to get the magic neg 18 with it. That dynamic might be seriously insensitive (or noisy?) ?

Dave.

Back