Good monitors and earphones for recording at home. Recording techniques

lolrecords

Hi everyone,
I live in a town home and I'm trying to set up a little recording section in my living room. I will not have the option of being able to Mic. anything because I do not own any amps. I do have an electric acoustic guitar, an electric bass guitar, and an electronic Yamaha drum set. Basically, I will be recording everything directly into my computer via my tascam interface. Basically my question is this... is it even worth trying to record this way? I keep reading ppl talking about room sounds and mics etc.. I know I will not be able to do it like that. So, that being said, anyone know what kind of monitors I can grab for around 150-200? And would it make more sense to use those earphones to mix and monitor since I will not be able to listen to anything that loud any time of the day. Anyone have any advice?
Thanks so much!

I would recommend buying a pair if 3" m-audio monitors $99 at best buy, a pair of $99 shure headphones and a cheap pre amp and mic (berhinger c1 and ulta tube 100) both for about $100 online (this is to record your acoustic and vocals and a DI box ($30) for you bass and electric.

emac is right on. My situation is very similar to yours (a Tascam US-122 into my laptop running Sonar). I recommend the Shure SRH 440 phones highly. Very accurate reproduction. My goals are mainly composing, I'm not that worried about a finished product. That's what a pro studio is for.

Thanks all for the advice. I checked the price range for the items you all listed and it looks like it's in my range. Thanks all. I'm sure I'll many questions. Ha!
Happy 4th!

My goals are mainly composing, I'm not that worried about a finished product. That's what a pro studio is for.
With all due respect Walt, that's kind of a provocative thing to say on a site that is near enough exclusively dedicated to recording at home.
The bar was raised in what could be achieved in recording at home as far back as the late 40s or early 50s with Les Paul recording in his garage or back room.
Repent of such folly and you may be kindly smiled upon ! :D

Ya its pretty easy to get pro sounding stuff out of y our home studio. Strive for the best sound possible. :)

I'm sure you are right, but I need to keep some priorities as far as the process is concerned. A great recording of a lousy composition is not what I'm after. Done that before, and in decent studios.
Maybe I'll wind up with something great, But I am surely not into investing in soundproof space with good isolation and Neuman mics. There IS a difference from doing it here in my small room.
I've said this before, the whole point for having a DAW on my laptop is to make creating music easier. It was much harder with a 4-track cassette Portastudio. We always wanted more, but editing and rearranging was a much longer process.

Last edited:
Back