Good gear to start with (Pro Tools)?

Haha, the guy's asking for advice. He sent us his requirements and I suggested that he gets Pro Tools. The DAW he's asking about. I can only speak from my experiences, otherwise what advice would that be. I hardly think me saying that from the sounds of what he needs "Pro Tools is the best option" could be classed as pushy. Especially when if you read my later posts I said, if you can get a DAW for free (Reaper) then you should. I can't recommend on Reaper as I've never used it, but from those who have it would appear to be pretty good. You've just outlined why pro tools would be the best choice too so I really don't understand this comment.

Makes me laugh sometimes how defensive and passive aggressive people can be on these forums.

Wasn't pointed at you, but hey since the universe obviously revolves around what you say anonymously on an internet forum, then by all means get a sandy vagina and go off on a cry me a fucking river tangent.

And just so there isn't any mis interpretation, Reaper is a fucking retarded recommendation in this situation.

Wasn't pointed at you, but hey since the universe obviously revolves around what you say anonymously on an internet forum, then by all means get a sandy vagina and go off on a cry me a fucking river tangent.

And just so there isn't any mis interpretation, Reaper is a fucking retarded recommendation in this situation.

A. It was pointed directly at me. I don't care, but if you read you original post, it's pointed directly at me. Sorry, but you can't get out of that one.:)
B. What exactly gives you the impression the universe revolves around what I say? (to be accurate I don't think the universe revolves around anything. It doesn't revolve.)
C. You've just proved my the last point of my last point.

Really, there can't be much else going on in life, to get so angry about someone making a suggest... that was actually the same as yours.:laughings:

haha. this thread fell apart pretty well.

Get what you want dude, ignore the stupid bickering. We were just throwing out a few other options for you to consider, but I guess it hurt some people's feelings.

Did we answer you question? You have a good idea of what you want to get to get started?

haha. this thread fell apart pretty well.

Get what you want dude, ignore the stupid bickering. We were just throwing out a few other options for you to consider, but I guess it hurt some people's feelings.

Did we answer you question? You have a good idea of what you want to get to get started?

Haha, yeah for sure. This was def a good start, sorry to have caused the disputes. I'll be posting questions about individual gear (mics, etc) in the other forums. Thanks all!

New studio, limited funds...[rant]SPEND MONEY ON SOUND TREATMENT FIRST!

You can get all the bells and whistles you want but to get a good recording, 90%(a figure I pulled outta my a~~) depends on the source material and your source material needs to be created in a decent sounding room.[/end rant, lol]:laughings:

Treatment is great and probably essential somewhere down the road, but I disagree with the treatment first philosophy. Get some gear in your range, learn to use it, then treat. I know recordings are only as good as the room but most sound like garbage at first anyway. So I say learn some basics get some basic gear, then worry about treatment.

Simple bass traps make a big difference and aren't expensive to build. But they aren't necessary to learn and get decent recordings.

Treatment is great and probably essential somewhere down the road, but I disagree with the treatment first philosophy. Get some gear in your range, learn to use it, then treat. I know recordings are only as good as the room but most sound like garbage at first anyway. So I say learn some basics get some basic gear, then worry about treatment.

Simple bass traps make a big difference and aren't expensive to build. But they aren't necessary to learn and get decent recordings.
Kinda depends on what you are recording, yes? It's not about the money, use couches, mattresses, heavy curtains, (I did not say egg cartons), a full bookcase of your favorite audio books, etc... Hell, a dozen acoustic tiles don't cost that much. Step outside and record, it's free.

Learn the basics, ya, this is the basics.

I'm mainly an acoustic musician and from that perspective it's extremely difficult to sound good and/or perform in a crappy sounding room. How about a rock band? If I can't make it sound good to begin with I don't need to be recording it.

I agree.Treating a room first before you have any kind of idea what your problems are or before you get to grips with the gear and recording process seems odd advice to me. When people want to start a little home studio it's usually because they want to record. In other words, they're generally musically oriented. So I'd say that they need to crack on with writing and recording their stuff. Then as one progresses, the things that will improve that become apparent.
It's kind of different if the room you use really sounds bad from the kick off and it's obvious. I'm currently staying in a friend's flat in Switzerland. The sound in the bathroom is horrific. In some bathrooms, you get a lovely reverb. Not in this one ! It needs treating just to have a bath !!

Why spend money on treatment when most just want to get some ideas down and make music. I think treatment is something for once you're committed to recording and looking to improve the sound. For most of us amateurs it may never be neccisarry.

My first room was good, my new one is horrible. I got some good recordings with no treatment. Now I need it. I just think it's overkill to tell noobs treatment first. I say interface, monitors, good mics first…oh and good songs absolutely first.

Why spend money on treatment when most just want to get some ideas down and make music. I think treatment is something for once you're committed to recording and looking to improve the sound. For most of us amateurs it may never be neccisarry.

My first room was good, my new one is horrible. I got some good recordings with no treatment. Now I need it. I just think it's overkill to tell noobs treatment first. I say interface, monitors, good mics first…oh and good songs absolutely first.
Whatever dude. Treatment isn't something you need once you are committed to recording. It's something you need to sound good. Most of the people I know that record are musicians and have been for a long time before they made the venture to record.
What you are saying is like telling someone to go and learn guiitar on a piece of crap guitar or play drums on buckets. Sure they can do it but it takes longer and most likely will never sound good. Bad sounding rooms are a problem. I'm just saying fix the problem and then move on.
-Peace

Treatment isn't something you need once you are committed to recording. It's something you need to sound good.
And there is a difference in the treatment you may need for tracking instruments and what you may need for mixing in a controlled environment. When you don't have $, sofas, bookshelves, leftover insulation from construction projects, throwaway cubicle walls, or moving blankets can work for you. I can't advise on exactly what gear to get, but try only to spend money on things that you will be using in ten years...or that has resale value. I have a friend who plays a lot of instruments and makes a living writing, producing, recording radio jingles. His tools for a very long time were a mac, pro tools, an M-box, Ozone, a few inexpensive dynamic mics and a KSM27 in an untreated bedroom. His work has always sounded very polished and professional. He has added more gear and made a better space to work in, but it seems to be the guy behind the stuff more than the gear.

Whatever dude. Treatment isn't something you need once you are committed to recording. It's something you need to sound good. Most of the people I know that record are musicians and have been for a long time before they made the venture to record.
What you are saying is like telling someone to go and learn guiitar on a piece of crap guitar or play drums on buckets. Sure they can do it but it takes longer and most likely will never sound good. Bad sounding rooms are a problem. I'm just saying fix the problem and then move on.
-Peace
That's rather missing the point. Few are experts when they start recording. So it takes time before your ears and know~how are at the point when they can identify that something needs fixing. Like I said, it's a different matter as a newbie if when you strum on an acoustic you get a long uncontrollable bassy reverb in the room you're in. But that's not common. No one's shooting down treatment. It's just that when most newbies think of setting up a home recording space, what comes across as 'construction', whether rightly or wrongly, doesn't even figure into it !
As to your analogy about learning guitar on a crap guitar, that's such a subjective point. I'd get the person a £35 guitar and say, learn the basics on that. Buy the Martin jumbo later ! That you might think it's crap is more to do with your advancement than whether or not the n0ob couldn't learn on it. They could. And then they'd advance.
One last thing. If the people you know have been musicians a long time and they want to home record, then they're in a slightly different situation to most of us who won't necessarilly have had that kind of long term experience in which they may have picked up some knowledge.

That's rather missing the point. ...It's just that when most newbies think of setting up a home recording space, what comes across as 'construction', whether rightly or wrongly, doesn't even figure into it !
That is my point. Sure you can play with your equipment all you want and learn how to fix things in the mix but is that what you want to learn as a newbie?

But really who am I to tell someone how to spend their money? It's why I usually stay away from doing that, too many opinions...

Here is my basic beginner set up for what you want...It's also pretty much what I have and use!

DAW - Reaper (free unrestricted demo, $40 to purchase license)
Interface - Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 ($500, 8 preamps, 10 outputs, sounds great...really any of the 8 preamp units in that price range will work)
Mics - here is were others can help you more. I'd start with an MXL V67G (LDC for vocals, acoustic guitars and misc. $80), SM57x2 (Snare, guitar cabs, tons of other stuff), Kick drum mic (beta 52? others know more about this), pair of SDC for drum overheads and acoustic guitars.
Monitors - I'd go with something in the 8" range, like the KRK Rokit 8 ($500)

This should bring you in well under your budget...if you're in the US, other countries are way more expensive for this stuff. Ask some of the experts here about mics. I've mentioned a few, but you'll likely want: Pair of SDC (overheads and acoustics), SM57s (snare and guitar cabs), LDC (vocals, guitars, room), a kick mic for bass and kick. That is a good start for mics. Really, you'll spend $500 for the interface, $500 for monitors, $40 for for Reaper, and have $650 left for mics...a great start!

sounds good... a solid setup

Back