Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Good gear to start with (Pro Tools)?

ForeignGround is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Good gear to start with (Pro Tools)?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello friendly users of Homerecording.com,

I have spent enough time in other people's studios that I finally decided to start building my own. At the moment I have around $1700 to start buying gear with. I have messed around with a lot of gear but have been out of the game for a bit. I was hoping some of you would have some recommendations for good combinations of gear to get a home studio started.
    For the present (and near future) I'm probably gonna be recording rock bands but I would like to be able to branch out.
    I am definitely going with Pro Tools as my DAW as I have been working with it for a while and am familiar with it.
    I have been looking into M-Audio gear such as the Profire 2626 (but maybe not so expensive).
    I have heard positive and negative things about profire interfaces so I'm not entirely sure. Is this interface on par with the M-Box and the 003 say?
    Also have been debating between getting M-Powered or straight up Pro Tools 9.
    I definitely need some guidance in the Mic department (for recording drumsets, guitar/bass amps, and vox).

Of course I'm willing to spend more money, but I am generally looking for some gear that could get my studio off the ground for around 1700.
    Any and all suggestions are welcome! (Also let me know if there's a better place to post this thread on the site!) Thanks.

saads is offline Baka
    Thanks
    I would start with some basic room treatment, getting a PC setup to record, a pair of monitors, and an interface. Firewire is fine for recording, it comes down to personal preference mostly. You'll need at least 8 pre amp inputs if you want to record drums too. Some good options include the M Aduio you mentioned, the Presonus Firestudio, Tascam US1600.
    This should get you started in the right direction:

How to Configure a Recording Studio Rig

Guitargodgt is offline Why 2K?
    Thanks
    The profire 2626 is solid. Try to find a B stock if you can (comes with full man. warranty) since that can save you a few hundred.

Starting from scratch is a little hard even on 1700 (assuming you already have the computer).

Mics, cable, stands, room treatment (unless your handy and can build them yourself) and monitors are going to quickly consume a lot of the rest of your budget.

I've had my profire for a couple years now, I can tell you first hand the pres sound better than a mbox 2. I've had a little bit of experience on a 003 (not the rack) and it's easily on par if not better than that as well.

As far as what version of pro tools to get, just my opinion but getting 9 is definitely worth it over mp8 for the latency compensation alone.
    My home studio ---> www.nerolstudio.com

Spare Dougal is offline Senior Member
    Thanks
    I'd definitely suggest going for the Tascam US-1800. I've got one and it works great for my portable setup. I'd definitely run Pro Tools 9 too. It's worth the extra little bit as some of the features that are taken out are going to annoy you in M-Powered, later down the line.

As for monitoring I'd look at the KRK Rockit Range. The RP6s are only about 100 (not sure in dolars) and and sound good for the money. I've recorded and mix a couple of records on them before. As for mics, I'd say start with a pair of large diaphragm condenser mics (try SE2200), a couple of Sm57s and something like a senheisser e602 for kick drums. This will be a start for recording drums and other instruments and you can build it from there.

Sonixx is offline Why 2K?
    Thanks
    I'd invest in mics and pres over Pro-Tools.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonixx View Post
    I'd invest in mics and pres over Pro-Tools.
    Just wondering what your reasoning for this is? Understandably you need mics and pre's to record anything but if you're having to buy some software to do recording with, surely you might as well buy something that's going to last you and be able to cope with you developing? Buying a cheap DAW then upgrading later is more expensive than starting with a good DAW and then adding mics and pre's as you go along.

moresound is offline Loud Sun Studios
    New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Thanks
    My vote would be to go with Reaper as your DAW ..... check it out then decide.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

aaronmcoleman is offline The truth is out there!
    Thanks
    Here is my basic beginner set up for what you want...It's also pretty much what I have and use!

DAW - Reaper (free unrestricted demo, $40 to purchase license)
    Interface - Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 ($500, 8 preamps, 10 outputs, sounds great...really any of the 8 preamp units in that price range will work)
    Mics - here is were others can help you more. I'd start with an MXL V67G (LDC for vocals, acoustic guitars and misc. $80), SM57x2 (Snare, guitar cabs, tons of other stuff), Kick drum mic (beta 52? others know more about this), pair of SDC for drum overheads and acoustic guitars.
    Monitors - I'd go with something in the 8" range, like the KRK Rokit 8 ($500)

This should bring you in well under your budget...if you're in the US, other countries are way more expensive for this stuff. Ask some of the experts here about mics. I've mentioned a few, but you'll likely want: Pair of SDC (overheads and acoustics), SM57s (snare and guitar cabs), LDC (vocals, guitars, room), a kick mic for bass and kick. That is a good start for mics. Really, you'll spend $500 for the interface, $500 for monitors, $40 for for Reaper, and have $650 left for mics...a great start!

aaronmcoleman is offline The truth is out there!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spare Dougal View Post
    Just wondering what your reasoning for this is? Understandably you need mics and pre's to record anything but if you're having to buy some software to do recording with, surely you might as well buy something that's going to last you and be able to cope with you developing? Buying a cheap DAW then upgrading later is more expensive than starting with a good DAW and then adding mics and pre's as you go along.
    Reaper is not a cheap DAW. It is cheap to buy, but it does pretty much everything you'll need. It is full featured, has some great plug-ins, awesome support. I can't justify spending $300+ dollars more for PT when Reaper is so good.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronmcoleman View Post
    Reaper is not a cheap DAW. It is cheap to buy, but it does pretty much everything you'll need. It is full featured, has some great plug-ins, awesome support. I can't justify spending $300+ dollars more for PT when Reaper is so good.
    Fair enough. I've never really used reaper so I wouldn't want to comment. Seems to be worth checking out before buying though. I do most of my work in pro studios so my home setup has to be compatible and for the money Pro Tools is the shizzle. Far outweighs Logic/Nuendo/Cubase etc. If you can get a decent DAW for free (or 40) then yes spend the money on mics and pres... and some nice monitors.

I'd agree with the KRKs definitely, though I wouldn't necessarily say you need 8" range. I'm more a fan of the 6" range and actually do most of my mixing at home on NS10s and Tanny E11 which are 5 inch. I find it a lot easier to just the bottom end on speaker like this as you're not putting lots of low end into the room to make it boom. Especially when you're doing guerilla recordings in some unique places.

All personal preference though, I'm not say don't consider 8" speakers, but don't rule out the 6" rokits either.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information