A good DI Box

Stubby03

I want to split the guitar signal into 2 signals. One distortion from the amp, one clean to my DAW. Will also use it for my bass. A lot of choices online. Whats a good DI Box under 160 bucks. Thanks ahead of time.

radial pro di

I second this. It's what I use all the time for this purpose. I always make sure to grab DI tracks, because in my studio, I get people coming in with cheap guitar/bass amps all the time with all their awful solid-state badness.

So I take their DI tracks and run them through tube amps when they leave. They're never the wiser, and all of a sudden, they think their tone is fantastic. xD

If ALL you want to do is split the guitar signal you don't need a DI box, just 3 jack soldered pin to pin.

But if you really want to push the boat out. I see Neve have produced a DI box. Dare not look for a price!

Dave.

I have a Radial PZ-Pre Tonebone. Does a lot more than just split the signal, of course. Got it for $245 on sale. Really got it for live use, but also works for recording purposes,
Two 1/4" instrument inputs, switchable A/B or both. Also switchable piezo preamps on the inputs.
3 band EQ with sweepable mid, and low notch filter. Amp output phase switch.
Pre- and post-EQ XLR outputs, 1/4" amp (instrument level) output, dedicated 1/4" tuner pedal output.
Switchable FX loop with adjustable internal boost on same switch. Mute switch (all outputs except tuner).

I also would highly recommend the DAV DI boxes another great DI for not much money, they make one that's both a DI and re-amper in one box.

I've used many popular mid-priced brands including Radial, Whirlwind, and Countryman. This little box sounds every bit as good for less than half the price.

EWI LDB-101

They also have other versions such as 2 channel active, passive, and rack unit.

I am interested in the DAV DI re-amper box. What has your experience been with it? How much does it cost? Where can I buy one?

The MXR noise gate line driver was superb (still use mine). Too bad they stopped making them. Saw one on Reverb for $90 (79 issue)

I use the JDI Duplex passive DI. Here's a photo of front and back. Pricey at $350, but it is extremely versatile for live performance or recording.

duplexPanels250.jpg

Update: Found the replacement to the NG/LD. Seems they went to a preamp model with input and output gain staging and a three band EQ called the M81. Looks sweet!

Back