Going crazy, please help :)

I had that similar problem, the only solution was for me, since i use a laptop, was to disconnect my charger.. and bam, it was all gone. So in my own experience, id think its something to do with the input power to your setup.. It's possibru, but that's the best i can give you xD

Regards
Squid

Yes, caveat emptor, there is some research to be done, although I've already found some drivers issues with NI. At the other hand, people often don't know how to properly install the software so "drivers issues" are to be expected with any similar device I assume.. Whichever device that I get, I suppose that it is recommended to uninstall all the M-audio drivers before that?

Thank you Dave

I think you will find somebody, somewhere has a problem with any AI you mention if you look hard enough! Can I just say that my KA6 has been installed and worked faultlessly on an XP machine, W7, W10 (briefly, that is I got shot of the W10 PC!) even my works Blista. I know of people that have KAs running on macs. I loaned mine to a guy on the SoS forum who runs Linux and he then bought one. He has since said he has used it on the continent on a variety of PCs without so much as a blip.

I can plug mine into any of 2 desktops and 2 laptops and it just works, no faff, no hassle..BOOM! It is there. Never had an AI so solid, it is MORE reliable than a bloody USB stick!

Delete the M-Audio drivers? Not really, I have drivers on this laptop for my F'rite 8i6 and the KA6 simply ignores them. M-A did write pretty good drivers back in the day. I had a Fast track pro which was pretty solid (the drivers are also probably still in here!) and the KA runs on a desktop that houses 2, 2496 cards, never any bother.

Dave.

I had that similar problem, the only solution was for me, since i use a laptop, was to disconnect my charger.. and bam, it was all gone. So in my own experience, id think its something to do with the input power to your setup.. It's possibru, but that's the best i can give you xD

Regards
Squid

Txs Rattlesquid, but it is desktop PC

I think you will find somebody, somewhere has a problem with any AI you mention if you look hard enough! Can I just say that my KA6 has been installed and worked faultlessly on an XP machine, W7, W10 (briefly, that is I got shot of the W10 PC!) even my works Blista. I know of people that have KAs running on macs. I loaned mine to a guy on the SoS forum who runs Linux and he then bought one. He has since said he has used it on the continent on a variety of PCs without so much as a blip.

I can plug mine into any of 2 desktops and 2 laptops and it just works, no faff, no hassle..BOOM! It is there. Never had an AI so solid, it is MORE reliable than a bloody USB stick!

Delete the M-Audio drivers? Not really, I have drivers on this laptop for my F'rite 8i6 and the KA6 simply ignores them. M-A did write pretty good drivers back in the day. I had a Fast track pro which was pretty solid (the drivers are also probably still in here!) and the KA runs on a desktop that houses 2, 2496 cards, never any bother.

Dave.

That NI Audio 6 is pretty good stuff I'd say. Very similar to Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen, although FS is somewhat cheaper. Good reviews too

That NI Audio 6 is pretty good stuff I'd say. Very similar to Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen, although FS is somewhat cheaper. Good reviews too

Go wash your mouth out! The 2i2 is MUCH poorer value than the KA6. Only 2 mic/line/High Z inputs (and the headroom of the latter might be low) NO MIDI, NO S/PDIF and no second pair of balanced line inputs. AFAIK there is no 3G samples download and NO Cubase.
I have not seen a test but I suspect that even the Genll F'rite does not match the low latency performance of the KA6?

And, a thought occurs about Drivers? Our top PC/mac men will confirm or slap me but: If you are running proper ASIO drivers (as you should) the DAW software, Samplitude SE8 mostly in my case, will decide the AI in use, well, YOU select it. Therefore the presence of other drivers on the system should have no deleterious effect? Provided of course they are not bloated ***t!

BTW, there IS an AI that beats the KA6, just, for converter quality. The Zoom UAC-2. An excellent device overall according to Pete of Scan* fame but even he says the differences are small and many peeps with 'lesser' monitoring systems and room probably would not notice . The AI is also poorer value as it is only 2 in 2 out but does at least have MIDI!

*Yes, they sell them! But Pete is a diamond geezer. He gives unstintingly of his time at SoS forum and I for one trust his judgement.
Dave.

Last edited:
Go wash your mouth out! The 2i2 is MUCH poorer value than the KA6. Only 2 mic/line/High Z inputs (and the headroom of the latter might be low) NO MIDI, NO S/PDIF and no second pair of balanced line inputs. AFAIK there is no 3G samples download and NO Cubase.
I have not seen a test but I suspect that even the Genll F'rite does not match the low latency performance of the KA6?

And, a thought occurs about Drivers? Our top PC/mac men will confirm or slap me but: If you are running proper ASIO drivers (as you should) the DAW software, Samplitude SE8 mostly in my case, will decide the AI in use, well, YOU select it. Therefore the presence of other drivers on the system should have no deleterious effect? Provided of course they are not bloated ***t!

BTW, there IS an AI that beats the KA6, just, for converter quality. The Zoom UAC-2. An excellent device overall according to Pete of Scan* fame but even he says the differences are small and many peeps with 'lesser' monitoring systems and room probably would not notice . The AI is also poorer value as it is only 2 in 2 out but does at least have MIDI!

*Yes, they sell them! But Pete is a diamond geezer. He gives unstintingly of his time at SoS forum and I for one trust his judgement.
Dave.

My mistake :)
I wanted to say Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen
but..that UAC-2 looks like serious device.

Gillette,

I think that you miss read what arcaxis's said in his posting about connecting the MAudio device to a guitar amp.

What he wanted you to do was to plug a lead into (say) the "MONO" output on the unit and connect this to the input of a guitar amplifier and to ensure that the volume on the amp was turned fully down, then plug the amp's power cord into a mains socket (power can be left off).

Now connect the output of the MAudio unit to whatever you are normally plugging it into (making sure that you do NOT remove the lead going to the guitar amp).

Once you have done this, touch the guitar strings as you have been doing and see if the noise appears. If iy does NOT appear (ie is not heard) then it is a fair bet that the problem is earth/power related in some way.

I think that you stated that the unit has an input for an external power supply (rather than using power via the USB connector. If this is the case, try using the/an external power pack to see if this stops the noise.

I know this will sound stupid --- but an old guitar noise trick (!!!!) --- before you plug the guitar into the MAudio unit, give it a good lick at the guitar end (not slobbery but damp) then plug it in to both the guitar and MAudio unit and see if the noise is present. If not present then it indicates that there is a rough (!!!) connection somewhere and the cable is not making a full earthing and is probably being fully earthed by your body when you hands touch the strings.

Hope the above helps a bit.

David

Gillette,

I think that you miss read what arcaxis's said in his posting about connecting the MAudio device to a guitar amp.

What he wanted you to do was to plug a lead into (say) the "MONO" output on the unit and connect this to the input of a guitar amplifier and to ensure that the volume on the amp was turned fully down, then plug the amp's power cord into a mains socket (power can be left off).

Now connect the output of the MAudio unit to whatever you are normally plugging it into (making sure that you do NOT remove the lead going to the guitar amp).

Once you have done this, touch the guitar strings as you have been doing and see if the noise appears. If iy does NOT appear (ie is not heard) then it is a fair bet that the problem is earth/power related in some way.

I think that you stated that the unit has an input for an external power supply (rather than using power via the USB connector. If this is the case, try using the/an external power pack to see if this stops the noise.

I know this will sound stupid --- but an old guitar noise trick (!!!!) --- before you plug the guitar into the MAudio unit, give it a good lick at the guitar end (not slobbery but damp) then plug it in to both the guitar and MAudio unit and see if the noise is present. If not present then it indicates that there is a rough (!!!) connection somewhere and the cable is not making a full earthing and is probably being fully earthed by your body when you hands touch the strings.

Hope the above helps a bit.

David

CSP, thank you for your effort to explain. I'm not good with thos "input-output" terms, so to make it more clear I did this:

Untitled.jpg

and here's the picture from the first page, so you can se if I understood correct what you wrote ?

505Q0Vz9ilqSTe5FQl6.jpg

So one cable goes from Outoput "L/Mono", to the amp.
The other cable goes from Output "Instrument" to the guitar, right?

The 2i4 still does not have the connectivity of the KA6 and is about the same price.

Dave.

Thank you Dave, when you say connectivity, did you mean number of input-outputs (because I need one input for guitar, and one for mic, and one Midi)..or did you mean faster, stronger, more safe..?

As I can undarestand, nobody can guarantee that the best interfece would interact perfect with what PC equipment we have so it's a kind of a lottery..:)

Thank you Dave, when you say connectivity, did you mean number of input-outputs (because I need one input for guitar, and one for mic, and one Midi)..or did you mean faster, stronger, more safe..?

As I can undarestand, nobody can guarantee that the best interfece would interact perfect with what PC equipment we have so it's a kind of a lottery..:)

I meant that the KA6 has 2 more balanced ins, 2 more balanced outs and digital I/O (you can also mono the headphone feed but the F'rite might do that?) More safe? Quite possibly. I have owned about 6 or 8 interfaces and PCI soundcards over the last 15 years or so. NOTHING has come close to the total solidity and transparency of operation of the KA6 with several computers and OS's. Basically, install drivers, run them, plug in KA6 record and never do it again. Even a break of several months and a few W7 updates later and it still just works.

"One day, maybe ALL Audio Interfaces and their Drivers will be made this way?" !!

Dave.

I meant that the KA6 has 2 more balanced ins, 2 more balanced outs and digital I/O (you can also mono the headphone feed but the F'rite might do that?) More safe? Quite possibly. I have owned about 6 or 8 interfaces and PCI soundcards over the last 15 years or so. NOTHING has come close to the total solidity and transparency of operation of the KA6 with several computers and OS's. Basically, install drivers, run them, plug in KA6 record and never do it again. Even a break of several months and a few W7 updates later and it still just works.

"One day, maybe ALL Audio Interfaces and their Drivers will be made this way?" !!

Dave.

The main thing that concerns me about getting a new audio interface is the fact I didn't upgrade my PC for let's say..5 years. It's Windows 7 and I found lots of "couldn't install drivers on my Windows 7 PC" comments..

The main thing that concerns me about getting a new audio interface is the fact I didn't upgrade my PC for let's say..5 years. It's Windows 7 and I found lots of "couldn't install drivers on my Windows 7 PC" comments..

I wouldn't worry, Just whack it on the net and let it go, make sure you have plenty of tea/coffee and Hobnobs in!

Dave.

Back