Goddamn phase problems...(DRUMS)

FattMusiek

Lately, I've been having a lot of trouble with phase problems. I can't get the snare and kick in the center of the field. I'm using 2 Oktava MK012s for overheads, a Beta 52 for kick, and a 57 on snare. I've been using that "Fat drums fast" technique for a long time. It can be found at:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showth...?threadid=39030

I'm using headphones to test this. What I do is, place the overheads around 2 sticks length (I try to be precise here) above the set, the left one directly above the middle of the snare. The right one is my problem, I usually compare it to the left one in terms of length away from the middle of the snare and the middle of the kick drum. I measure distances from the middle of the snare and kick with a chord, heh. (I press my thumb against the chord and kick and give it slack till it reaches the overhead.) What happens is, if I try to measure the distance of the capsules from the middle of the snare, it matches up but the capsules are different distances from the middle of the kick drum! Ah! I don't get it. What the hell do I do to make the snare and kick appear in the center of the audio spectrum?

(Pictures of miced drums would help I think...)

Setup the first OH directly above the snare. Take a string and measure a triangle from the Snare to OH to Kick. Tape the ends to the snare and kick and make a knot up where the OH is. Then pull the string over to the right (away from snare towards floor tom) and when it is tight again that is where the second OH can go. They will probably only be about a foot or so away from eachother depending on height. You are guaranteed good snare/kick phase and balance.

after years of using various overhead techniques I've gone back to the tried and true x/y configuration. it works like a charm. no phase problems. you just need mic stands that reach up pretty high to get an overall accurate stereo image of the kit. me love x/y long time.

I used the XY (two Octavas) on drums this weekend and I am truly impressed. No phase issues as with the overheads which i found to always need some tweaking...

At first I was happy with the rack toms just from the XY, but the drummer just could not deal without a mic on the rack regardless of the sound... I threw one up and will decide on it's use during the mix.

Cheers
Kevin.

longsoughtfor said:

At first I was happy with the rack toms just from the XY, but the drummer just could not deal without a mic on the rack regardless of the sound... I threw one up and will decide on it's use during the mix.

Cheers
Kevin.

God, stuck up drummers...My friend band wants to record their new CD. My friend's dad runs a studio called Feedroom (It's in a barn). The recordings there suck. Anyway, the drummer acknowledges that my recordings sound a lot better, but just because I don't have full micing capabilities, he's probably going to spend $500 at Feedroom. Pisses me off. The band already sucks ass.

TexRoadkill said:
Setup the first OH directly above the snare. Take a string and measure a triangle from the Snare to OH to Kick. Tape the ends to the snare and kick and make a knot up where the OH is. Then pull the string over to the right (away from snare towards floor tom) and when it is tight again that is where the second OH can go. They will probably only be about a foot or so away from eachother depending on height. You are guaranteed good snare/kick phase and balance.

Crap, I overlooked your post Tex! I'll get on that technique ASAP.

sweetnubs said:
after years of using various overhead techniques I've gone back to the tried and true x/y configuration. it works like a charm. no phase problems. you just need mic stands that reach up pretty high to get an overall accurate stereo image of the kit. me love x/y long time.

Yep. I think it yields a more "natural" sound.

dumb-question time ...

sweetnubs said:

OK, so in general, WHERE is the best place to set up the x/y? Above the drummer's head? Above the rack toms, or ...?

Back