Getting it right on the first take

grimtraveller

If only for a moment.....
When tracking, be it the initial laying down, scratch tracks or overdubbing and regardless of the instrument {including voice}, how often do you find that the first take is just what you want ?
Do you consciously aim to get a keeper on that first take ?

Sure, but it never seems to happen. Ideally I'd get a keeper every time I hit the red button, but I would need a talent transplant to make that happen.

Depends on how you're recording. If you're a band heading into the studio and paying by the hour, you should be so well rehearsed that you can do it on the first if not second take.

When I'm recording myself or my band in my own studio, we typically use the recording process to creatively flesh out songs and ideas, so there's never any pressure to "one take" it.

For a scratch track, it doesn't matter as long as the timing is ok.

Vocals, seldom. Acoustic rhythm strumming parts - 90% of the time first take does it. Lead guitar parts, about 1/2 of a first take will be a keeper, and I'll comp wiht ohter takes.

First take is usually crappy. That's why there's a rewind button and multi tracks.
Do you mean your first take is usually crappy or are you speaking for all recording humanity ?
By the way, the rewind button is there so that you can, um, rewind.......you know, you might want to listen to what you just recorded.
And the presence of multi tracks doesn't militate against first take overdubs......

I pretty much assume the first take will not be my last for any track (on my personal projects)......and I'm not consciously worrying about it either way. I've found that hearing the first take usually adds to or changes my thinking about where the track can or should go. As well......even after I've said OK to the last result........and time has passed......I often hear things in a track I would change........and sometimes do. To me.....a track is never 100% done.

Hey I always like to contribute to these thought provoking questions you come up with. Keep 'em coming :)

Back