Getting rid of fret noise from .... of course guitar.

jerberson12

mucis procedure
I know there's so called a powder or oil ( i dont know the name) that will get rid of fret noise and i can purchase it from my local music store. But is there any directx plugins that will take away the fret noise? just curious.

I'm not a big guitar guru but alot of it depends on the player and the guitar. I've heard that de-esing can work. But thats' all I know.

Fret noise is part of the music...why get rid of it ?
I use Finger Ease most of the time to lessen the noise...works well. I've never heard of a plug that removes though.

drummer: The only thing i know from de-esser is get rid of ssssss.... but im not sure for fretnoises. maybe il have to try. I found some de-essers but its so expensive. anybody knows some cheap de-esser plugins?

Stealth: i know but it depends on the music. The one that i was working on should be clean and fretnoises should be eliminated. Its so obvious that this fret noise i have makes a little mess.

I lazy to buy in my local store....... :p

Stealthtech said:
Fret noise is part of the music...why get rid of it ?
I use Finger Ease most of the time to lessen the noise...works well. I've never heard of a plug that removes though.

Ditto

I struggled with this for ages until I realised that if the noise was excessive, it meant I wasn't playing it well enough, so I went back and critically looked/listened at how I played with a view to reducing it - can be done.

Apart from that I've heard de-essing can work but haven't tried it - you can use Fast Fret or something similar but that changes the tone of the guitar a little and in some uses can increase fret noise, I've found.

Good luck!

If you are talking about fret buzzing

you need to work on your technique or the guitar is not set up well. Strings should not buzz on the frets.

If you are talking about string noise, the compounds can help some. On acoustic, I have found the elixer strings are great. The reduce the sound of the fingers sliding on the strings.

Like sloop said try elixers they realy eliminate alot of string noise and they last for a long time too. Also try some eq...

Acoustic Guitar: bottom 80-120hz, body 240hz, clarity 2.5-5khz

I'm pretty darn sure that there wouldn't be a plug in to get rid of fret buzz. It would kill the sound of the guitar for sure.

As stated earlier, technique is one thing along with finger strength. <depending on gauge of strings and so forth>. Another thing would be to check the action on your guitar. Maybe its set a little high or low.

Space

Getting rid of fret noise

Using round wound strings (rolled strings) can reduce "fret talk" flat wounds work also but I would not recomend using them they make your guitar sound like a banjo

Wow, one from the crypt... (and on the assumption that we were talking about string noise, not fret noise...)

Best tip I worked out since I posted above was to do the following:

1. Wash your hands all the time like a compulsive obsessive person - every 10 minutes or so while you're recording.

2. Soak your left hand fingertips in warm/hot water for about 60 seconds after each washing.

This softens the callouses on your hands and you'll get seriously less noise as you change positions.

Cheers

String squeaks

What I did:
I am a mediocre player at best. I could learn better technique and I expect to soon but that didn’t help me when I was recording. So I took a very little dab of vegetable oil on my finger tip and ran it up and down the string in the area of the neck I was experiencing excessive noise issues. It worked. I removed the annoying squeaks.

I've run into problems recording acoustic too, but not so much fret noise... When I switched from an Ibenez to a Talor the creaking of my hand on the neck when switching chords or positions sounds like a giant wooden door creaking open in a mansion. I think its because the neck isn't glossy, but it really sucks. Some of the stuff I can't play without my hand tight around the neck.

Armistice said:
I struggled with this for ages until I realised that if the noise was excessive, it meant I wasn't playing it well enough, so I went back and critically looked/listened at how I played with a view to reducing it - can be done.

Good luck!

Amen!

Personally, I don't use any of that string lube stuff because IMHO it doesn't belong on the fingerboard or the strings for that matter. One might try Elixer Nanoweb strings for a reduction in fretting noise, but better technique is always gonna sound better than poor technique!

If you have fret noise--get your guitar tuned up, reintonated and set up correctly.

If you have finger noise--use lighter gauge strings, wash your hands, lube your strings, file down your callouses a bit, learn to play cleaner.

Trying to use eq/compression/plugins/fx to remedy this will result in a sound probably worse than the sound with the noise in it (been down that road before). It would be akin to editing a drum take where the drummer was humming intermittently while playing... a bit of a disaster that may be better off re-recorded correctly.

All of these suggestions are good. I've tried 'em all. In the end, there are 3 things that I do. I use the Elixers, which help a lot, I spend a few minutes with technique just prior to recording, and If I still get fret noise that isn't suitable for the tune, I just zoom in on the wav and mute it.
I always do a warm up prior to recording with something to make me concentrate and get the blood flowing, playing a few difficult things that aren't related to the tune I'm gonna record. I like "Penny for your thoughts" by Frampton, or "Dust in the Wind" or something. My guitar playing has improved quite a bit since I began recording, but in the end I just do the best that I can and move on.

This will only help Adobe Audition 1.5 users, but it has a feature that allows you to edit out finger squeaks. If any one's interested I'll post a description (I already did in another forum, probably the Syntrillium/Cool Edit Pro). I went down to Austin and recorded a bunch of guitar tracks a couple of months ago and had to fix them after the fact, and this was a lifesaver.

technique

from personal experience, when you're not pleased with the recording of you playing guitar, it's often telling you you need to sharpen your technique more. (Or else it's that you're too stiffish, not 'live'-sounding enough.)

Back