Is getting the Phonic Helix Board 18 FireWire mixer the best option for me?

breeeeza

Senior MemBREH
Firstly sorry if i posted this in the wrong section but i diddnt know where else is should go. Probably better here than the mucrophone section :D

Anyway ill cut to the chase. At the moment i have (just recording gear);
Numerous microphones (not yet a good condensor)
2 compressors (2 channels in total)
A computer (DAW)
A behringer eurotrack mixer

At the moment i am just using connectors and leads etc.. to have the L and R main outs from the mixer go into a standard 1/8" stereo jack in my computers soundcard.
Basically what i want is to be able to record a minimum of 9 channels simultaniously into seperate tracks and then add appropriate effects and stuff afer recording.

The Phonic Helix Board 18 FireWire sounds ideal for what i need it for and has good reviews. The only one i know of that i would go for is the alesis multi mix 16 firewire mixer. But i have heard this has noisy pre's.
The only down side from the phonic is that from photos i have seen of it i can only see 2 channels that have 'inserts' which may become an issue later when i get more compressors and effects boxes (i.e. more money ;) )

The write up of this product is pretty vague and confusing and i cant quite understand if; i am able to record using this and then after recorded i can adjust volumes and eq etc.. using the mixer or if i just have to do that using my mouse and keyboard?

Another thing i would like to know is if i can use it with sony vegas 4, seeming as this took AGES for me to get anough money to buy it i kinda want to use it :o ?

pshh another thing, Does this have any issues like the PC not recognising it or anything like that?

Thanks alot guys.

go with the 24 channel one.

It has inserts on every channel. Pres are decent. You can record each of the 16 xlr inputs seperatly but how many at a time is limited your computers power. (I can usually do like 8 max at a time). You can also do a final main l/r mix through the firewire port.

Oh ya important feature, your computer has to have a firewire port. Your software should pick it up if it picks up your current sound card becuase the computer just treats it like an extra sound card. I would disable the old one once you get this installed. It's really not that hard at all, there is little information on it though. Send me a pm for more info if you want.

Anonamis_drumme said:
go with the 24 channel one.

It has inserts on every channel. Pres are decent. You can record each of the 16 xlr inputs seperatly but how many at a time is limited your computers power. (I can usually do like 8 max at a time). You can also do a final main l/r mix through the firewire port.

Oh ya important feature, your computer has to have a firewire port. Your software should pick it up if it picks up your current sound card becuase the computer just treats it like an extra sound card. I would disable the old one once you get this installed. It's really not that hard at all, there is little information on it though. Send me a pm for more info if you want.
Cheers, Do i have to get a very powerful harddrive or bigger RAM? sorry im not great with computers. cheers.

breeeeza said:
Cheers, Do i have to get a very powerful harddrive or bigger RAM? sorry im not great with computers. cheers.

Those DO help. ;) :p

RAM depends on the software your running. 1gb has been enough for me. Hard drive...well faster the better. Some WD raptors would be great but any 7200rpm drive with 8mb cache should be fine as well. Just plain processing power is useful for adding effects in the post-production phase.

I pulled out my board again today. It in fact DOES have inserts on every channel. It also has inserts on the mains as well. 4 bus's. A disappointing effects section...but that's not why I bought it right. :D

Back