getting new digital recorder need help (recording band multi-tracking)

musicsdarkangel

I record band mixes myself, recording drums, guitars, bass, and vocals separately. I won't use more then the full arrangement's worth of tracks (usually at tops 7). I am on a budget of 700-800 dollars, and was wondering if you all could recommend me to something that would satisfy my needs?? I just want to make cd's that sounds good. I figure the boss is the way to go.

So far, the boss br-8 looks really good.

Just realize you can only record 2 tracks at a time on that. Can be difficult for drums and any fancy mic setups.

Tacam 788 is pretty decent spec wise, better than the Boss unit IMO. Look at the Fostex VF series HD recorders as well.
Things to look for are at least as many inputs as channels, at least as many channels recording at sametime as inputs. Research everything before buying....Roland has some good deals...

Here is a link for the VF-08, its in yor price range and it leaves some room for maybe some accessories...

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/love.music?p=p.FOSVF08&z=1286917469762

Peace,
Dennis

If you have a computer already then the Roland Studio Pack will give you 24track @24bit/44khz with 8 simultaneous record channels.

All for $700 with built in effects.

would that 700 dollar package be worth it if i already had the sophware and soundcard (i have logic delta and omni studio (delta 66) soundcard)

I just want somethin I can record to besides my computer, i guess this is like that. I don't want to record computer direct ;P its annoying. If its something like this where I can send it to my computer, then that's great.

Any others?

BTW, thanks for the help

The only thing you would gain by the Roland system would be the VM3100Pro digital mixer. You would not have any stand alone recording capabilities. If you need a good digital mixer you can get it seperately for a little cheaper.

I doubt you will find a new HDD system that will record more than 2 tracks at a time in your price range. Most of the 16track units can do more tracks simultaneously but you are looking at more money then.

The Fostex VF-16 will record eight tracks simultaneously(all sixteen with a digital mixer w/adat out) and it sells for $799 from American Musical Supply( www.americanmusical.com ).I haven't used one but I was going to buy one before I bought the discontinued Roland VSR-880 for $499.

Back