Getting a live vibe for a studio album - how to best use the mics we have

olfunk

Hello there

My band are recording our album soon, at the church where we practise. It’s a fairly big church, and it has one hell of a great natural reverb. You tap the hi-hat and it bounces round you like fuck!
The sound we’re wanting to go for is a very human sound. Think Led Zeppelin II or Californication or BloodSugarSexMagik. The drum sound is especially essential to this. We’ll be hoping to record everything except vocals and acoustic guitar live, to capture that vibe better. So while we’re laying down the instrumental tracks, we’ll want to be close to each other.
We play a wide variety of music, and we’re influenced by all sortsa shit! Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against The Machine, The Beach Boys, ACDC, Led Zeppelin, Ash, Parliament/Funkadelic, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Guns n Roses, The Beatles, The Meters, John Frusciante…..put all that in a blender and it might sound like us!

Here are the mics we have:

4x Sennheiser e845
4x Shure SM58
1x Shure C606 (a bit shit but oh well)
1x AKG C1000S
1x Expensive studio vocal mic, probably LCD (not mine though so I can’t check the brand or model right now)

to mic up:

Drum Kit (tuned perfect, sounds great acoustically in church)
Bass Amp (possibly, if it’ll sound better than just D.I)
Guitar Amp (Marshall 100watt combo)
Guitar Amp (Vox 100watt combo)

Then later on we’ll be recording vocals and probably some acoustic guitar.
I reckon room mics will have a good impact on our sound, maybe like one at the other end of the church.
But if anyone could give some advice, maybe even a whole plan of how best to use the mics we’ve got at our disposal, it would be much appreciated.

Looks like you got a bunch of live vocal mics, but are short on instrument mics. I'd use the expensive mic as the drum overhead & spend some time with placement so you get a good overall picture of the kit. Then try your other mics on kick & snare & see which sounds best. Use whats left for guitars & run the bass direct. You could use that AKG as the room mic. Then use your expensive mic for the acoustic & vocal overdubs.

Back