The Gear Orphanage disaster!!!!

Tom Paul

About 18 months ago I bought a Dizengoff D4 Mic Pre from The Gear Orphanage. It buzzed intermittantly. Within 1 week I sent and email to Gear Orphanage where I stated the problem and thought it should go back to them. I called them and they said that they did not have a replacement unit but I should deal with Matt at Dizengoof directly to get it repaired.

I sent it back and he could not reproduce the buzz so he returned it to me. The buzz came back shortly afterwards. I recorded the buzz and sent an email to Dizengoff and they said they knew exactly what that was and to return it again for repair..at a cost of $32.00 to me.

Weeks go by and I hear nothing. Itry to contact Dizengoff and find they are out of business. I call the Gear Orphange and say that I can't get my unit back....I want a refund or replacement. Their 1st response was, "you should have told us about it within a month of buying it" . I send them the a copy of the email that I sent a week after buying it saying that they should take it back. Now they are saying that because I dealt with Dizengoff directly that they have no responsibility for the unit anymore. I am out $732.00!!!! I never dealt with an audio company that wasn't 100% about customer service.

Last edited:
<edit> removed bs as the dealer came through
thats really bizarre ..

best of luck

Last edited:
Oh, I don't think I'd be stopping there.
You followed their advice and, by the sounds of it, have a paper trail to prove that.
I think I'd be extracting $732.00, one way or the other...

I had a faulty unit arrive from US to UK one time - Due to the expense of sending it back and forth the seller recommended I remove the bottom panel and check that all molex and ribbon connectors were tight.
I did that to no avail. His next response was more or less 'you have voided any warranty by tampering with the unit'.

I got my money back. ;)

The Dizengoff website is no longer up. The owner hasn't returned any of my 3 emails asking when I would get my unit back.

if you paid for the pre amp with a credit card get onto the card company. They DO NOT like bad traders!

I had a problem a few years ago with some Man United tickets (for daughter and Gson, I know nothing of footy!) Barclaycard soon shook the buggers up and I got my £170 back.

Dave.

The Gear Orphanage got ahold of Matt from Dizengoff and he is going to return my unit. He still can't make it buzz. So atleast I will have it back. When the buzz gets constant I'll find someone to repair it.

The Gear Orphanage got ahold of Matt from Dizengoff and he is going to return my unit. He still can't make it buzz. So atleast I will have it back. When the buzz gets constant I'll find someone to repair it.

If they just recommended him as a third party repair guy that'd be one thing, but if they put him forward as 'their' guy or an affiliate, I'd have been arguing that they remain responsible for ensuring that the customer gets what was paid for.
It's a shame you didn't get a fix on the original issue but I'm glad you at least go the unit back.
Might be worth asking them what their plan-B is. ;)

If Dizengoff have gone out of business, find out if they are in the hands of Receivers or if they are under administration. If so you can contact them and put in a claim of ownership of the Mic Pre.

Alan.

If Dizengoff have gone out of business, find out if they are in the hands of Receivers or if they are under administration. If so you can contact them and put in a claim of ownership of the Mic Pre.

Alan.

Yes, in this country you can go to the premises and physically remove any goods you can prove are yours.

Dave.

Back