Front to Back Reverb Settings

ido1957

9K Gold Member
I'm trying to get a bit more depth in my recordings - front to back. I can get one instrument loduer than another but I'm wondering is there a setting on my reverb unit that could help with front to back effect?

I track using reverb but I am very "newbie" and tend to keep the same settings all the time so there is no difference between tracks.

I do not have an eight channel reverb - like a Lexicon 960 - only a stereo reverb. I assume a 960 would give you the ability to adjust depth on a variety of tracks during so downmix.

I usually track with reverb - or can I do it on downmix with a stereo reverb unit?

Thanks

Reverb is commonly used to set "front and back depth" in a mix. The idea is the more reverb applied to a track the "farther back" it appears in the mix. Pretty much as simple as that. If you are tracking everything with reverb then it is harder to use this technique. I usually try to track without effects but sometimes you gotta, especially if the person's playing is compromised without them. You can always put reverb in the headphone feed so the musician hears reverb while tracking but the actual track is recorded dry. This way you can control the amount of reverb during the mixing.

Along with the reverb, sometimes using a little EQ cut to deaden some of the high frequencies in the 'verbed signal (say, above 5 or 6kHz) gives an increased feeling of depth. The flipside is also true, slightly enhancing the higher freqs can enance the "presence" and bring a sound "forward" in the mix.

G.

Back