FOH engineer to recording engineer

Atkron205

I spent many years on the road as a live FOH/moniter enigneer. I have mixed on 52 channel consoles as well as mixing up to 20 monitor mixes on the fly. I did it for a living so I know I can mix. The trouble I am having is moving from the live big sound to a quite studio setting. I have mixed for a 50,000 seat arena and it is easier than a small studio. I still want the big full sound I am used to, is this wrong? the issue I have is eveything sounds small recorded. Maybe I just need to recal my ears. Your thoughts?

I spent many years on the road as a live FOH/moniter enigneer. I have mixed on 52 channel consoles as well as mixing up to 20 monitor mixes on the fly. I did it for a living so I know I can mix. The trouble I am having is moving from the live big sound to a quite studio setting. I have mixed for a 50,000 seat arena and it is easier than a small studio. I still want the big full sound I am used to, is this wrong? the issue I have is eveything sounds small recorded. Maybe I just need to recal my ears. Your thoughts?

That is a typical occurrence from my experience. The difference between live performance and recording, is finding a way to get the ambiance and power that a big system gives a performance, on tiny little drivers that most of us listen to music with.

It ain't easy. I am still working at it. Likely will till I lose my ears...

It keeps getting better though, and I am not deaf yet. :)

A similar thing happens I notice is between tracking- and if you're getting a little bleed through the phones, on play back it's 'smaller, or less depth' at least? = the effect of 'with and w/o the extra room' effect.
Same same but no doubt on a smaller scale :)

I'll add as well, live' we can put up with (and have automatic compensation going on I believe) for all sorts of sins that we don't get away with just listening (mixing etc..

Huh.....what did you say, Jimmy?

:D

So Atkron205.....what kind of monitors and listening environment are you in?

If your room is a fair size, and you go with some larger nearfield-to-midfield monitors, up at seated ear height with a decent spread between them (like 5-6')....you can get that bigger/fuller sound somewhat resembling a large live mix.
If you're on some small-ish bookshelf speakers and kinda jammed up against them with your laptop on a small desk...it's not going to work as well.

Huh.....what did you say, Jimmy?

:D

What? I can't here you? :)

I understand how the transition from mixing bands live can be a strange transition to mixing in the studio. It is quite different. Especially if his experience in environments that involved systems required for 50,000 seat venues. I suppose I assumed that 50,000 meant a large venue? Much different than mixing in a studio.. Big venue mixing does not necessarily equate to larger monitors. Not at all if you have been there, or experienced the difference in mixing live...

I will agree though, that you will be best off by taking in as much info as you can in regards to room treatment, and then monitors that can give you the 'big' sound you are used to. You have been accustomed to the way a live performance feels. You will likely have the need to feel the low end.

Thanks All, my concert rig was 185 thousand watts so power was no problem. The monitor rig was 150 thousand watts. I have Alesis MK II powered montiors so the volume is not the issue. In a concert setting you mix to about 85 to 90 DB so volume is not the issue. the SPL you put out is the big thing. I am used to subs that will cave your chest in at 200 yards as well as delay stacks every 200 feet. Fullness is my weak point. I want the awesome full kick ass concert sound in a studio setting, not sure if I can get it.

Thanks All, my concert rig was 185 thousand watts so power was no problem. The monitor rig was 150 thousand watts. I have Alesis MK II powered montiors so the volume is not the issue. In a concert setting you mix to about 85 to 90 DB so volume is not the issue. the SPL you put out is the big thing. I am used to subs that will cave your chest in at 200 yards as well as delay stacks every 200 feet. Fullness is my weak point. I want the awesome full kick ass concert sound in a studio setting, not sure if I can get it.

Sorry, but the Alesis monitors are not likely to get you there. Maybe with a sub, but not going to get anywhere near chest caving.

Those big rigs sometimes use 100s of speakers, with subs galore. Yes you can feel it, and you have a huge sound in a very large space. Duplicating that in a 10x12x8 space (not saying that's where you are, but just throwing out numbers) with two speakers would be impossible. The live fullness you are looking for is from having stacks of speakers in several locations throughout a huge venue. You can duplicate the spl, but you'll not get that feel. You would need to space several sets of monitors and subs in a way that duplicates the SPL at all freqs. But this creates its own set of problems; remember that in a studio, you are looking for treated sound. Most arenas and amphitheaters I ever played or attended concerts at were echo bombs. Easier to set and eq than most bars, but still difficult...course, I played and let the sound guys deal with that. Used sonic ear valves in my day and still have my ears, too! :)

Atkron,

You might have to go old school with big Augspurgers/JBL 4435 type monitors in a bigger room and smaller mid-fields for
a reference till you get more comfortable.

Gary

you will be best off by taking in as much info as you can in regards to room treatment, and then monitors that can give you the 'big' sound you are used to.

I agree with this advice. A large venue doesn't suffer from the severe peaks and nulls you get in a home-sized room. Nulls are especially damaging in most rooms. To the OP, start here, then follow up with any questions:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

I have done both concurrently for the last 14 years or so with similar experiences to you from small clubs all the way to large outdoor festivals and arenas. While they share the same fundamental concepts, they are different beasts altogether.

Of course, as you know, a PA system is tuned to the room in which it is installed for coverage. The aim is to achieve uniform SPL and tonality across all listening positions. That's the goal. The result is often not what you would call "flat" (the somewhat dubiously-stated goal in studio acoustics). Live systems are geared for impact. Depending on the venue, you'll also be shocked to listen to what's happening at the close-mic level because the mix that's exiting the desk doesn't necessarily have to sound like a studio mix because you're working with the room. Like has been stated, the larger venues like outdoors and stadiums will suffer less from this phenomenon. However, another kettle of fish arrives in the case of the stadium because of often difficult acoustics and long reverb decay times. Outdoors, therefore, is probably the closest you're going to get to a studio monitoring situation.

Have you ever done a multi-track recording of your live shows and tried to mix it in the studio? It can be an enlightening experience, particularly if you take ambiance tracks, because the size and power that the PA was producing in conjunction with the room is captured and if the close mics were properly positioned, you should have no trouble getting a fat, powerful live mix that rivals being there.

This is a window view into what a studio recording is about. In order to achieve a larger than life sound, the ear needs to be tricked into perceiving what it perceives in in a live situation. However in the studio we can go one step further by creating localised soundscapes and movement that is often very difficult to achieve live for every audience member because of the randomness of their position in the venue. Something tells me that an audience member standing to the far right of the arena is not going to hear that floor tom hard panned to the left as well as others on the opposite side.

So, what we're left with here is trickery of sorts and attention to detail. Mic selection and position is a lot more critical in studio than it is live (while, it actually shouldn't be). The room is a lot more critical and that includes the acoustics of your control room and the quality of your monitoring chain. Browsing through these forums you'll notice that some people (myself included) feel preamps, outboard and conversion are critical as well. Everything in the process aggregates to a better result, including the quality of the instrument and performers.

The golden rule is, obviously: shit in, shit out. However, equally important is firstly your monitoring environment. No Neumann U47 is going to help if your monitors and room are lying to you. So I would sort that out first. Once you achieve a true and representative listening position, you can begin to actually get into the nitty gritty of the details that make a good recording.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :)

I went to school to be a recording engineer and ended up being a live sound engineer for many years. Can't say I did 50,000 seat venues but fairly big shows in my area with EAW speaker arrays and I got pretty good at it. Home studio recording is a very different ballgame. I have just recently got back into it. Last time I did home recording was about 10 years ago. I like a full sound too but its just going to take practice to get the most out of your room and gear.

Back