Focusrite MKii Dynamic Line Outs

Sammigz

Looking for a good use for these line outs.
I have a Tascam FW-1884 board, and the MKii is hooked up to that.
The board handles the main monitors and has 6 outputs for headphones. I also have a monitor station with 4 more headphone outs. So I'm good there.

I generally keep the 8 inputs of the MKii set up with the drums. But I'd like to run the snare/kick through a couple DBX 500 series compressors I have while recording. Someone told me the line outs could be used as inserts. But wouldn't I need ins and outs for that? Not just outs? I am running everything through a patchbay too. I was considering getting 8 TRS send/return Y-cables and running the line outs to the patchbay, but not sure that would work the same way the inserts work on the board.
Any insight?

I have a Focusrite OctoPre Dynamic MKII that I often use as general inputs, interfaced to the RME Fireface via ADAT. You could use the outputs if you wanted to but the OctoPre has compressors built in. I understand you may want to use something better but the OctoPre is then just being used as a preamp of sorts. You could set up the DBX before the OctoPre or after it, however, if you are using ADAT, you need to use the compressor before the OctoPre otherwise the ADAT would be unprocessed. I can think of applications for this where you could mix the wet/dry signals although some propagation delay would result. As far as inserts go, I don't see any way of using the OctoPre for that. You have inputs and you have outputs plus the option of using ADAT but not really anyway of using the OctoPre as inserts. I don't follow that suggestion at all. Its the DBX that would used as an insert in a manner of speaking but it would simply be inline.

I have a Focusrite OctoPre Dynamic MKII that I often use as general inputs, interfaced to the RME Fireface via ADAT. You could use the outputs if you wanted to but the OctoPre has compressors built in. I understand you may want to use something better but the OctoPre is then just being used as a preamp of sorts. You could set up the DBX before the OctoPre or after it, however, if you are using ADAT, you need to use the compressor before the OctoPre otherwise the ADAT would be unprocessed. I can think of applications for this where you could mix the wet/dry signals although some propagation delay would result. As far as inserts go, I don't see any way of using the OctoPre for that. You have inputs and you have outputs plus the option of using ADAT but not really anyway of using the OctoPre as inserts. I don't follow that suggestion at all. Its the DBX that would used as an insert in a manner of speaking but it would simply be inline.

Awesome, thanks for the input.
So what else could I use these outputs for. Anything useful?
As I said, main monitors and headphones are covered. I'll use the built-in compressors and then re-route thru one of the DBX's if I have to. I guess I don't really NEED them for anything huh?

Awesome, thanks for the input.
So what else could I use these outputs for. Anything useful?
As I said, main monitors and headphones are covered. I'll use the built-in compressors and then re-route thru one of the DBX's if I have to. I guess I don't really NEED them for anything huh?

They could be used to simply convert the microphone level to line level but if you are using the DBX then there is probably not much point in adding the OctoPre for any reason unless you want to use the built in compressors.

However, if you connect the OctoPre to your Tascam via ADAT, it gives 8 EXTRA inputs to play with.

Back