Fishman Mimi 60W for recording--Newbie

JeffF

As a Newbie, putting together home-recording equipment, your patience please with the following question:

If I understand the specs correctly, the Fishman Mini 60W, which I would use for individually multitracked acoustical guitar and vocal recording, has a separate tweeter/woofer design rather than coaxial.

Of question, with the separate tweeter/woofer design, can a single mic physically allow both tweeter and woofer to be captured in a balanced off-axis manner?

I could put 2 Rode NT1's on the amp if indeed a single mic would not allow for a balanced capturing of the tweeter/woofer, if this would be typical of approach.

Anyone's experience with this model or design for above stated application and mic'ing technique shared would be appreciated.

(No purchase made at this point, but the vast reviews, from non-forum sources, I've read speak highly of the Fishman as being very clean, so if it can be mic'd for recording I'd like to go with a used model. I have a coaxial acoustic amp in mind if the above design is not possible to be mic'd.)

I'd be routing mic(s) into a Tascam DP-24SD.

Thank you, JeffF.

Last edited:
Why would you mic an amp rather than mic the vocalist and [acoustic] guitar directly? The LM has a good rep for performance, but I'd never think of using it as a recording source.

Of intention, I'd like to hear if there are subtle albeit non-descriptive sound dynamics unexpectedly found mic'ing an amp for acoustical instruments (including vocals) rather than directly routing to my recording unit--perhaps merely due to sound having to travel from the amp to the mic that might create more of a dimensional presence than direct routing. Thanks, Keith, for asking. Be well this summer in the Lone Star state.

It might help the forum, in helping me, if I ask the question as applied to electrical instruments (if mic'ing an acoustic amp for recording is unusual): Are amps that are designed with a separate woofer and tweeter (rather than coaxial) mic'able, and if so, how have any members approached this in getting the tweeter and woofer captured in a balanced manner?

Further replies on "how to" are requested--JeffF.

Last edited:
Hi JeffF. If you are looking to utilize an amp for 'room sound' and phasing, my suggestion would be to always capture the direct, and then mic the room (probably not the amp specifically). This way you can blend what you want from the phased room sound. This will also alleviate the issue of having a woofer/tweeter because you will still have full range signal from the direct that you can EQ and compress however you want, but blended with a live mic could produce some cool results and also can have its own sonic placement. I heard a story about the drummer from Muse placing a PA behind the drum set with kick and snare coming out of the speakers so the room mics would pick up the huge sound while recording. Experimenting with your environment is always a great way to find new methods. :) cheers bro

..Of question, with the separate tweeter/woofer design, can a single mic physically allow both tweeter and woofer to be captured in a balanced off-axis manner? ..

To add to the points already made, sure you could. And in fact one mic -at an appropriate distance would likely be better, more straight forward than two for high and a low.
You'd have to experiment with placement -not any farther away than necessary lest the room reflections begin to play havoc with it's natural frequency response. Gobo's -acoustic pads, close in around the mic would keep it cleaner too.
You might fare better with the amp up on a stool as well. Easier to hear and compare with the mic's tone pickup, and gets it away from the floor boundary.
We have three Mini's and I have the older dual-6 three way in our acoustic band. :guitar:

Last edited:
Back