First time microphone purchase

" Your President has been using SM57s for years"
Not mine Rob! And if any of our prime ministers of the last say 20yrs had a specific choice of mic I would avoid it like the plague! Self serving idiots the lot of them.

I do agree that you cannot really go wrong with a genuine 57/58 but they are very old designs and I personally like things a bit brighter and smoother (but then I AM clinically deaf!)

Dave.

Northampton's a good clue - but the OP mentioned dollars? The US podium and eagle are a good continuity things whereas we don't have that kind of thing at all. Perhaps we should suggest it?

There are few really horrible ones apart from the usual AKG we won't mention.

I find the C1000S to work on many sources when the obvious first choices don't. Mine's been doing vocal duty for the past year or three, and I've gotten good results on acoustic guitars and guitar amps.

Too far way!

I meant 15 feet away from my PC to try and minimize the noise picking up the fans

Your solution to place a mic 15 feet away is not a great idea. Years ago, when I did a series of audiobooks, I had the same problem. Try putting something in front of the computer or to the sides. Even an open cardboard box may help, as long as it does not impede air circulation. Anything physical that cuts down the dBs. And gaming computers are kind of loud, right?

Better yet, get a portable recorder from Zoom or others. Or use a fanless laptop with a SSD drive. HP Streams may work.

Good luck!

"Or use a fanless laptop with a SSD drive."
^ Total overkill IMHO. I am typing this on an HP Pavillion g6 i3 with a mechanical HDD and fan.
At the moment, just running Internet it is consuming between 0 and 2% of CPU and so the fan is but a barely detectable warm breath, totally inaudible. The HDD has never made its presence heard. Recording two tracks for VOX would be similarly undemanding and silent.

If I load the thing up with 20 tracks of Cubase the fan JUST becomes audible at times. My son has often recorded gentle acoustic guitar with the laptop but a few feet from the mic (AKG P150) with no noise intrusion, indeed! The biggest problem is "noises off" and that can only be solved by working at 2am and onward.

I picked up a 2 core 1.6G E machines laptop a year or so ago and it is similarly quiet and has more than enough grunt for 2, 24bit tracks at 44.1kHz. £120.

Dave.

Back