First Post: Ultimate Question!!!

HyperSpace

Ok - Hi everyone! I have a question which will answer my "missing link" in a recording studio. Let me explain the anatomy of the studio in my head to isolate the question.

Starting at the level of the instrument or mic, I understand them, I get pre amps, I get instrument fx, I get it going to the mixing board....

....I get the mixing board going main out to the PC hardware and to the editing software (or to the recorder built in to a mixing board.

My question lies in between those two. In pictures of studios I see racks of equipment that usually goes after the mixing board.

I understand rack fx used for specific instruments like rack amp emulators for example.

My question is - between the mixing board and the recorder what are the rack items used to alter the general sound of a tracks (in basic ways) and to also be used to alter the mixdown.

I see racks of things, but aside from general fx (reverb, distrortion) etc.. I am totally unfamiliar with what is USUALLY and most COMMONLY used there.

I know compressors and EQ can often be there - but what else?

It's the only part of a bare bones studio I don't know about.

Thanks people! I look forward to learning alot here!!!!!!!!!!

There's no real way for me to know what you're thinking of by that description. In a pro studio there may be racks of A/D converters, patchbays and direct boxes.

There are two basic types of effects boxes (besides digital modellers which can be a combination) dynamic and time-based. Dynamic is anything used to shape sound by volume or frequency targeting. Time-based is anything that makes an effect like reverb, delay, flange or chorus.

Got a pic?

Ok. Let me ask it another way....

What are the major types of signal manipulations that one would use on tracks BEYOND the mixing board, but before the recording, unless used on mastering.

And yet another way...

I am familiar with effects used on individual instruments like guitar effects etc.... I am familiar with mics and pre amps and guitar amps and mixing boards....

....and to recording and editing software and to cd burners.

What is the other areas of control room equipment that you see left out there?

And I will ask it a third way:

Here is my list of major anatomy parts of a studio:

1. mics (vocals or from miced amps or acoustic instrumnets)
2. mic pre amps
3. instrument effects processors (like guitar
4. mixing board
5. main processered used here (i only know of compressers and EQ)
6. recorder

What would you say is the MAIN sections of a studio left out there?

And I am speaking on terms of beyond the instrument-specific parts...

Thanks!

PS: Please explain the general idea of what the parts are you mention, thanks!

Perhaps if I said - as I will in another post - let's pretend I'm building a studio from nothing.

I know of all those considerations I listed. However - I don't know about the things used not to seriously alter the sound but to "refine it", to get EQ good, compress it and do the other main things (and equipment) that serves to increase quality of sound.

Maybe there isn't much in that spot I'm considering - I just don't know, and I always see photos of studios with racks and racks of stuff.

I assume much of it is highly professional stuff I don't need to care about, but I was wondering if any of it WAS essential parts of a studio.

Thanks guys and girls - I won't be building a studio for perhaps 2 years at most (although I had a small one before) but I'm trying to learn all I can now so I can plan it out.

My plan is to open a music studio catering projects charged by song or general project prices which cater to people looking to record good quality (one track at a time) but have a serious budget.

Since I love to do it, and won't need to rely on it for money at first - build a name for myself and an audiotorial resume and work from there!

Maybe our differing levels of knowledge are causing an issue. Those pages mostly display info I already know - plus they don't deal with much material.

Perhaps there isn't as much of a "missing link" as I am thinking. Perhaps all the places I see rack stuff is all just optional and not much related to the sound adjustment so much as choice adjustments.

Anywho - thank you for the help. I'm gonna make another post which will clear up other questions I have.

you asked in another poast what gates and limiters were. fairly basic knowledge. you have a lot to learn

If you ask me, here is all you really need to make a great recording:

musician
room
Instrument
mic
preamp
recorder
eq/compressor/reverb
mixer
monitors

And you may or may not need the eq/compressor/reverb part of all that depending on how well it was recorded in the first place. Yes, envelope filters and looping delay pedals and all that fun stuff can help, but when you get right down to it, it isn't mandatory.

And don't forget the musician/room/instrument part! You'd be surprised how many people do. :)

There is nothing else required. You have all the basics down.

All the racks of stuff you refer to are there mainly because of someone's gear lust, or because they just like to have a lot of tonal options available. Sometimes the former, but usually the latter. None of it is absloutely necessary for getting a good sound -- or any sound at all for that matter.

You don't even need a mixing board/console these days if you have enough mic pres and some means of monitoring (including headphones for tracking).

It sounds like the only missing link you're talking about is the music and where it takes you technically. You have covered most of the basic tools and seem to understand them. The missing ingrediants are the music and your experience using your gear to acheive the results you want.

You will quickly find out what you need when you need it.

Don't skimp on your rooms!

huh?

Maybe what you are talking about is not "after" the board... Maybe what you saw where effects (like delays) and processors (like compressors) coming in and out the Aux Sends-Returns and Inserts of the board. That is not exactly "after" the board in the signal path...to make it simple...it's kinda "inside" even though the gear itself (hardware) is out and connected to the mixer...

Is that what you were asking?

Peace...

PC

I think you know of all the pro stuff you see, i think it is just basic pre's, reverb, other effects, eq, patchbay etc. But as chess said they just have a crap load of it to give more variety...

There isn't too much you need to add between the mixer and the recorder. A compressor maybe, and an equalizer. But both of these should be used sparingly in the recording process. You are after a particular sound, and if it takes those to get it, you use it.

Most people add effects on during mixing, generally, because once an effect is recorded, you can't do much to it. And if you don't like it, it means retracking because you can't take it off once it's "committed to tape".
You have the basics, you just need to study a bit more and figure out how what you do know works. IMHO, there is only one way to do that: record.

There are a hell of a lot of different signal chains, depending on the gear and the material. I am a minimalist, so mic > preamp > Digi002/mixer > firewire > PC.
For some things, I add a compressor before the Digi002. So what's in the rack? Preamps, power conditioners, A-D conversion, a power amp to drive a cab with a POD Pro. Bass VAMP. Headphone distribution amp, noise gate, patch bays. And- one of those cool rack shelves with a sliding drawer. Woo Hoo!-Richie

Elmo89m said:
I think you know of all the pro stuff you see, i think it is just basic pre's, reverb, other effects, eq, patchbay etc. But as chess said they just have a crap load of it to give more variety...
What on God's green earth made you dig up a two year old thread and respond.....oh yea, related topics.

Someone should fix this lame website.

Bring back the old HRC!

jake-owa said:
What on God's green earth made you dig up a two year old thread and respond.....oh yea, related topics.

Someone should fix this lame website.

Yeah! I'm not the only one who does stuff like that! Woohoo!

So if he was two years away from setting up a studio, two years ago... he should be open by now.

Wonder where he's at, and if he's making more than I am.

Back