Favorite Recordings

slidey said:
10CC-I'm not in love, all those acapella voices were looped & the four dudes played the mixer................man that track sounds so much better having read the SOS production breakdown

GREAT track!!! Truely a classic "ear-candy" tune. ;)

My favorite CD for analyzing monitors and individual drivers is "FLIM and the BB's - BIG NOTES"... if the monitors being tested have ANY weakness, this CD will bring'em to their knees...

Zane1Tsu said:
Nickelback is gay, but I've heard that song on the radio. But that particular song is alright. Definately well recorded. Punches you in the chest.

Why the punch? I said they were gay too and already punched myself in the nuts.

I dont remember the song but in one fo the jimi hendrix expierence songs on that cd theres a song which he solos and they play it back in reverse and it sounds real cool.

DAS19 said:
I dont remember the song but in one fo the jimi hendrix expierence songs on that cd theres a song which he solos and they play it back in reverse and it sounds real cool.
Castles made of sand?

sweetnubs said:
most of the hendrix albums I can recall listening too are engineered rather poorly.
Not quite balanced and a certain "airiness". But hendrix went beyond the recordings, even though he was so intensely immersed w/ them.

Camel - Mirage, Moonmadness, Snowgoose. "all have perfect sound"

E.L.P - Tarkus

Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon

King Crimson - Red

Jethro Tull - Thick as a brick (one of the best sounding rythm sections I`ve heard).

:)

I'm real big on Steve Albini engineered projects, some people hate him, some people love em. I like the acoustics and he doens't go nuts on over producing.

I also like Larry Packer stuff, a fella named Machine, Steve Evatts makes some badass loud as hell hardcore stuff, Terry Date's stuff is good as well.

I used to be real big on David Sardy produced records, but the older I get the more I stray away from that style.

The Chilis' BSSM remains an all-time favourite for me - no doubt the accompanying Funky Monks video helped open my eyes further, but the sense of atmosphere, such as the snippets of talking and ambient sounds between tracks, all add to the raw feel of the minimalist arrangements. Everything breathes so freely.

I got a few outtakes of early Beatles stuff, and again it's so raw. When they screw up a take, they have to start the whole thing again, playing and singing...no shortcuts like you'd get nowadays. Something about hearing the band chatting and joking around between takes adds so much personality and sense of time/place.

Zappa / Mothers - We're Only In It for the Money

The Original US Vinyl. Zappa did some very cool stuff in the 60's.

sweetnubs said:
most of the hendrix albums I can recall listening too are engineered rather poorly.

WHAA!!! I love them. Electric Lady is my fav for engineering.

other than that...

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf.
I think this is one of the best engineered/produced (rock or other)albums I've heard in a long time. I heard that they got the drum sounds by recording drums and cymbals seperately.

The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers.
Deffinately the best New album as far as engineering goes (songs rock too). This is the band Jack White is part of. I love how they gave him duelling guitar and vocal parts in the song Level. Actually... I think it's an all around amazing album.

One of my all time faves, which was done on wax, is:

CUBAN SUGAR MILL

Pianist/band leader Freddie Slack did the Mostly solo keys; the band comes in the last few bars to close out the boogie/type song.

Anybody out there have that tune who will send me a copy of it on tape? [Hate to ask for a CD with only one track on it.]

Thanks,
Green Hornet :D

killmachine said:
I'm real big on Steve Albini engineered projects, some people hate him, some people love em. I like the acoustics and he doens't go nuts on over producing.
He underproduced Nirvana's In Utero. They brought in someone else to remix and bring the vocals out. But his recording's do sound like the band is right there w/ no extra gimmicks.

By the way everybody, your replies are killer, and appreciated. I'm definately compiling a new list of listening material. Keep it up.

Gesekki said:
I got a few outtakes of early Beatles stuff, and again it's so raw. When they screw up a take, they have to start the whole thing again, playing and singing...no shortcuts like you'd get nowadays. Something about hearing the band chatting and joking around between takes adds so much personality and sense of time/place.
Their record company forbid taking a razor to the tapes. They even had to do mixdowns in one take.

Led Zeppelin IV.

In fact most of the Zeppelin catalog sounds timeless, which IMO comes down to two things: excellent songwriting and musicianship, and a significantly less processed approach than today's standards. Despite the audiophile's insistence that recording analog, as opposed to digital, was the key, I think it has less to do with the recording medium than a stronger focus on tracking as opposed to slapping a bunch of unnecessary garbage on the tracks during mixing.

Same with the Beatles, their stuff sounds fresh today because they didnt have much, or need much, to record their music. What you hear, particularly on the earlier albums, is four musicians doing everything in a single take plus a few vocal overdubs. Much of this was possible due to their slogging it out 24/7 in the Hamburg clubs.

As to current music, I don't know whether Tool's music will sound good twenty years from now, but Aenima still sounds amazing after ten, and I suspect it has more to do with their excellent writing and talent than anything else.

sweetnubs said:

I actually agree. Especially the early ones and the later ones where he started calling more shots and the middle ones. They all have some warts on them. Some sound really cool, but all of them that I have really "listened to" versus "heard" had some flaws. Hendrix albums aren't good for the production. it's the arrangement.

I always liked King Crimson "Discipline". They just put alot of effort into manipulating the sonic field of "vision".

Even though it was 99% electronic, I always liked Art of Noise Invisible silence, which is the album that had the Max headroom song on it and Peter Gun. It was like the peak of their pop success. The choice of sounds they used to get the point across was always so interesting to me.

When you get right down to it, I don't think I've ever heard anything that is as crisp and fat and well-mixed as Abbey Road.

there is a ton of music- guitar music, that I like better, but they don't sound like a warm waterbed feels. I like production like that. It kind of molds itself to you and makes it's presence known, but in a comforting way.

Oh, yeah, there is definitely some steely dan and zappa that you can wrap yourself up in. I haven;t heard it in years, but Joe's garage Act I was always a favorite of mine as far as headphone music.

Back