fake room ambience, overheads to unify samples ?

B

bigfootangel

hey aloha,
how would you guys create fake room ambience, overheads after recording with a sampler with different drum pieces from different sets? i mean, i gather different kinds of good lovely samples to record my drum parts or other parts, but i dont have ambience recording to glue/unite all these samples.. to add that room noise.. you know..
how to avoid all these samples sounding like they are from different sets and dont have unifying overheads, ambience??
any methods, suggestions are very appreciated!

thanks dears,

god bless

samm

Well...use dry samples...and then once you have your virtual kit created and recorded...ad some ambience to the drum tracks to taste during mixing.
There's a million plugs out there that deal with ambience/reverb..you just have to dial them in to fit the drums and the sound you want.

Well...use dry samples...and then once you have your virtual kit created and recorded...ad some ambience to the drum tracks to taste during mixing.
There's a million plugs out there that deal with ambience/reverb..you just have to dial them in to fit the drums and the sound you want.
ye man, that reverb thing is ok, but ive also read that firing the recorded drums from speakers into an open room and rerecording this from a distance gives a chance to capture the real complexities of the room ambience..
what do you guys thing about that??

thnks

ye man, that reverb thing is ok, but ive also read that firing the recorded drums from speakers into an open room and rerecording this from a distance gives a chance to capture the real complexities of the room ambience..
what do you guys thing about that??

thnks

I'm mild about that idea. No harm in trying it if you have a nice sounding room. But I'd rather use a convolution reverb VST and feed it an impulse from a nice sounding drum room or "studio B" size room.

I'm mild about that idea. No harm in trying it if you have a nice sounding room. But I'd rather use a convolution reverb VST and feed it an impulse from a nice sounding drum room or "studio B" size room.

thanks for the opinion. sadly i never tried those convolution verbs.. but i guess they are worthy of attention.

btw one thing about previous stuff. one guy wrote:

btw.the distance and placement between mic and speaker may well be nothing near normal distances associated your usual kit OH's. A speaker is never going to move air like a real drummer...well no normal speaker anyway. As such, placement will most likely be closer than for a typical live kit.

cheers

In order to recreate the ambience of overheads, use a shorter reverb and put an EQ on an insert before the reverb on the FX bus. Using a high pass and low pass filter, get rid of everything below 150hz and above 4khz.

Then add the bigger reverb on a separate send. EQ that as necessary, to get the effect that you want.

In order to recreate the ambience of overheads, use a shorter reverb and put an EQ on an insert before the reverb on the FX bus. Using a high pass and low pass filter, get rid of everything below 150hz and above 4khz.

Then add the bigger reverb on a separate send. EQ that as necessary, to get the effect that you want.

to leave only mids of the overall drums set for reverbs or low and high cut the short verb itself?....

to leave only mids of the overall drums set for reverbs or low and high cut the short verb itself?....
EQ goes before the reverb on the send. So the reverb is only getting the mids, and will only react to the mids.

I don't know what DAW you are using, but most will have effects bus (a channel that the effect is inserted into). Put the reverb on the second insert and put the EQ on the first insert. So the reverb is being fed the output of the EQ.

This simulates the effect of having the mic farther away from the source. As you pull the mic back, the drums lose brightness and low end

EQ goes before the reverb on the send. So the reverb is only getting the mids, and will only react to the mids.

I don't know what DAW you are using, but most will have effects bus (a channel that the effect is inserted into). Put the reverb on the second insert and put the EQ on the first insert. So the reverb is being fed the output of the EQ.

This simulates the effect of having the mic farther away from the source. As you pull the mic back, the drums lose brightness and low end
thanks man,
i got it. you rock!

hey aloha,
how would you guys create fake room ambience, overheads after recording with a sampler with different drum pieces from different sets? i mean, i gather different kinds of good lovely samples to record my drum parts or other parts, but i dont have ambience recording to glue/unite all these samples.. to add that room noise.. you know..
how to avoid all these samples sounding like they are from different sets and dont have unifying overheads, ambience??

thanks dears,

god bless

samm

I've done something like this before. I just played the track through one monitor that I put in my empty garage and distance miced it with a large condensor mic.

I lrecorded a track at 3 feet and 6 feet away, then I picked the one that worked the best with the original track.

I've done something like this before. I just played the track through one monitor that I put in my empty garage and distance miced it with a large condensor mic.

I lrecorded a track at 3 feet and 6 feet away, then I picked the one that worked the best with the original track.

ye right. thnks

There are a lot of natural spaces that provide echo/reverb...and you can try them out and see what you get...but just because it's a "natural" reverb space, it doesn't mean it will sound goog or sound better than using a reverb box to create the ambience.
IMO...most decent reverb units or plugs will outperform and sound better anything you can capture in a garage or basement or empty building...because they've been properly configured and programmed...so all you have to do is tweak the parameters to your taste.

Anyway...whatever you use, have fun. :)

hey aloha,

thanks dears,

god bless

samm

I usually don't do this because I record real drums in a nice sounding room. But I had to do things like "fix the snare" in recordings other musicians bring me to mix. In my drum room, I sit a P.A. speaker where I sit the drumset. Then about 6 feet away, I set up two mic stands with the boom arms criss crossed. about 5 feet, small condenser mics pointing forward. Then a Large condensor mic mounted on a straight stand 4 feet high centered and under the booms that are criss-crossed. After that recording, I remove the two small condensors and move the large condensor mic to the back corner, about 2 ft from the wall and record it and take that mic and go to different corners and record them then I review the recorded tracks, one by one with the original track and play with manning and phase flip of the room mics till I find a track combination I like, then I render the room tracks down to just one stereo track then I use that with my original to mix.

another way is if your DAW has a feature called "acoustic stamp". Nuendo and I do believe cuebase has that. what it does is clones the ambience of a track and apply those nuances to the new track, That was the glue that can be used to emulate the room of a miced track and apply it to a rendered vst instrument track.

another way is if your DAW has a feature called "acoustic stamp". Nuendo and I do believe cuebase has that. what it does is clones the ambience of a track and apply those nuances to the new track, That was the glue that can be used to emulate the room of a miced track and apply it to a rendered vst instrument track.

thanks for both postings. god bless

life is a learning process, so best wishes for this new school year to everyone!

jesus bless

samm

Back