external preamp question

davecg321

hi,

how do i know when my preamp is clipping? i have it set up to be peaking at -16dbfs within my daw. but i still get some signs of clipping or unwanted distortion, what level should i be aiming for on the VU meter?

much appreciated

dave

hi,

how do i know when my preamp is clipping? i have it set up to be peaking at -16dbfs within my daw. but i still get some signs of clipping or unwanted distortion, what level should i be aiming for on the VU meter?

much appreciated

dave
Hmm. I have some Chameleon's.. LEDs only. 'Signal' (where ever that's at), '+4' and 'peak.
All I know is that somewhere in there with that pre, it starts to sound -either pleasingly crunchy' (usually not very pleasing actually.. or clipped.
I use the Peak+RMS meters is Sonar, learned to watch out for that distortion in the pre.. and pad the output down (it happens to have an output knob so, easy).. What ever it takes to keep things down around -20 or so (average') on the DAW meters.
Another pre- Precision 8, seems clean right up to 'clip light I guess.. And in this case my converter clips first..

Anyway, simple as that. Find out where that clipping is at.. and don't go there :D

..I might add, that once you sus out your combo (pre > A/D converter = your kit's typical record level.. Then the DAW meters let you know you're in the ball park.. Then when you mic up something, you can go to the DAW meters to dial in pretty much.. how much of the pre's gain to go for.

Last edited:
Back