External hard drive

Wayne E

Does anyone know of a modern available scsi external hard drive that will work with the FD 8 and replace the Iomega zip drive? Thanks for your time.

Can you give me some more info,

how many pins is the scsi
what size drives did the FD8
What is an FD8?

Alan.

Hi
Tx for writing. The Fostex FD 8 is an 8 track recorder that was debuted about 15 years ago. At that time it was recommended to work with an Iomega 100 Mb zip drive. It has a 25 pin connector on both ends. I learned that it will work with a Microtec 18 Gb external hard drive though that's out of production for at least 12 years and next to impossible to get. I'm not sure that I'd want a 12 year old unit anyway. I'm thinking that there are external SCSI hard drives made recently such as HP and Seagate to name a few though I can't find anyone who knows if they'd work. The advantage of the external hard drive would be that it has a lot more space, obviously since the zip disk is 100 Mb. I'll appreciate any ideas that you may have. My email is rontal4@yahoo.com. Thanks alot.
Best,
Wayne

SCSI has been dead for a long time; dont think you're going to find anything 'modern'.

You'll probably have to search ebay for something someone's had sitting in their closet for 10 years.

25 pin scsi is the problem, I still use 68 pin scsi in my studio and even this stuff is now getting old, and new drives that are available are very expensive.

The problem is that you can get 25 pin to 50 pin cables, and then you may be able to adapt it to 68 pin. What you may be able to do is buy a cheap external case suitable for 25 pin scsi and install a drive into it, the cable inside the case may already have 50 or 68 pin connectors.

One thing about scsi gear is that the secondhand market has a ton of gear very cheap.

Alan.

Back