Experiences with mic shields?

joey2000

Be interested to hear from those who have used and how well it did/didn't work (including of course the circumstances around it...what kind of music being done, what if any other treatments, what mics used etc).

Short reply, I have an se stand mounted shield. I don't consider it useful or needed unless for some reason you are recording an Omni or figure 8 mic in reflective area or lousy sounding room. Because normally im using a cardiod to track I find it is more helpful to shield behind the talent/instrument rather than behind the mic. remember the back side of an cardiod has a high rejection already, its not the area that is usually going to cause problems, its on the input side where the mess of reflections cause issues. One of the biggest culprits in causing comb filtering issues is the ceiling reflections. If you can hang some heavy blankets, or even terry cloth towels(they work!) behind and above sound source IMO you will get a better track than a mic shield on the back side

First off, I guess I should ask whether you're talking about basic pop shields to go in front of the mic (between the vocalist and the mic) or the sort of acoustic shield Gtoboy is talking about?

If the latter I've had very good results with the original sE Reflexion Filter. I originally got it because I had to record an author reading one of her books but, for health reasons, she couldn't leave her home. Results with a cardioid LDC in an untreated office were amazingly good--we had a thick set of curtains behind the author roughly equivalent to the extra shielding the previous post mentioned.

In any case, this was a spoken word recording, in many ways less forgiving than music where instruments can mask errors. The results were good enough for a CD to be released and nobody realised it wasn't a studio.

Two points: First, there are now lots of far cheaper imitations, including from sE themselves. I've not used these myself but when I've heard recordings made with them, the extra money sure seems worth it.

Second, the set up is everything. The microphone has to be exactly lined up with the filter--basically the mic capsule has to be in a direct line drawn between the two front edges of the filter, and the capsule also has to be exactly at the half way mark between the top and bottom of the filter.

Short reply, I have an se stand mounted shield. I don't consider it useful or needed unless for some reason you are recording an Omni or figure 8 mic in reflective area or lousy sounding room. Because normally im using a cardiod to track I find it is more helpful to shield behind the talent/instrument rather than behind the mic. remember the back side of an cardiod has a high rejection already, its not the area that is usually going to cause problems, its on the input side where the mess of reflections cause issues. One of the biggest culprits in causing comb filtering issues is the ceiling reflections. If you can hang some heavy blankets, or even terry cloth towels(they work!) behind and above sound source IMO you will get a better track than a mic shield on the back side
Excellent points. d'oh. Why didn't I think of that. :) It should still help though as sound bounces all around in a room, so it would still block off stuff coming in from the sides and back, even though I see why the area where the singer is would be the main problem (coming from that direction).

If the latter I've had very good results with the original sE Reflexion Filter.

Two points: First, there are now lots of far cheaper imitations, including from sE themselves. I've not used these myself but when I've heard recordings made with them, the extra money sure seems worth it.

Second, the set up is everything. The microphone has to be exactly lined up with the filter--basically the mic capsule has to be in a direct line drawn between the two front edges of the filter, and the capsule also has to be exactly at the half way mark between the top and bottom of the filter.
Thx, also great points......given the points made above (and I will be using a cardiod mic), while I don't doubt it would help some, I do have to wonder how much.

I bought an original sE Reflexion Filter when they first came out. The metal one. I think it was a couple hundred bucks. I used it a bit and since my room is an all-in-one I thought it would increase the focus of a vocal track with the isolation it provided. What I found was it had some sort of metallic edge to the sound so I took it back to my Pro Retailer and traded it on the plastic version which I have had since. It sounded much better at less than half the price.

I use it on occasion. Sometimes I'll use it faced in on the rack in front of the the Avid converters since their fan is so loud. Works great for that. Even though I know how to position for the null in a mic, it's another safety layer in my process here. I also use it for voice-overs which are much more critical to outside sound problems than a vocal track to music.

All-in-all a useful tool but not one I would want to rely on as the only choice I had.

gto's comments have me thinking...I wonder if I took one of those folding panel things people use to get dressed behind and tacked on some foam/sound-proofing stuff and put it behind me, how well that would work. Anyone try this?

My fav scrap foam. I should get a clean one.

Attachments

• MICshield.jpg
    MICshield.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 17
gto's comments have me thinking...I wonder if I took one of those folding panel things people use to get dressed behind and tacked on some foam/sound-proofing stuff and put it behind me, how well that would work. Anyone try this?

I think hinged panels on wheels are common enough. As are moving blankets

My fav scrap foam. I should get a clean one.

You are kidding right? If not:

Dood, you need to get out or read more. The foam you have there is horrible for much of anything other than making a couch cushion from it.

Seriously, this isn't cool for yourself or others when bad advice is given..

It has been proven that foam of that type is not in any way the best product to use. It right up there with egg crates man...

Please start reading and listening to posts about products. You are killing yourself by not moving forward dood.

I am trying to be cool and help you. Your strange talk is entertaining, but when you give bad advice, I find that you need to either explain yourself in words that others can understand, or at least give some fucking proof that you know better that what has been proven to work in the real world. Not just yours and what you think works in yours.

I only ask for an honest and educated reply. And maybe a sample of your vocal recording through that Frankenstein reflection filter?

Last edited:
It worked fine. An hour long speakerphone recording. The IBM Z-Pro behind it was the concern. As far as I know, a lot of people record voice off the desktop

It worked fine. An hour long speakerphone recording. The IBM Z-Pro behind it was the concern. As far as I know, a lot of people record voice off the desktop

My point man. You are obviously a seasoned member with years of time using what you have learned.

Yet you have a closed cell foam mattress pad reflection filter? I am suddenly realizing that I can't quite not trust what you say on this forum now based on your reply here, which is a product that has been proven to not be helpful in any way.

I have learned so much information from professionals that have devoted their time to myself personally, as well as to other members of this site.

You present yourself as an old school guy with experience, but you do not communicate that experience. Hell, are you even an old guy?

Can you please try to be more clear with your posts? And maybe show some of the works you have done. I would honestly like to hear some.

Seriously Garww, I really want to hear some of your work. If not here publicly, then in private. I just want to know who you are. :)

Well, you identify the noise and hold the material up to the ear to see how its affected. I wouldn't say there is anything strange about that.

I don't do any work as a home recordist. Who are you kidding : ) I posted an old experiment in the triple new tone thread. Here is a more recent experiment and the total room mess. With the left hand I'm playing the mixer and stair stepping the microbrute and the ultranova keys are like 2" below the back of the casio. Still fun. Still live recording two tracks into disk recorder and two more go through reverb and compressor for 4-track. Originally, I experimented mastering out to the auto level on my voice recorder. This is a master out to a Fostex disk recorder. The hot spots are from this dub, but I was pushing levels at the mixer live with fake tremolo, etc. while I'm trying to find the ultranova keys

Well the mp3 isn't uploading. I see if I can get it smaller. Work ? hahah

I don't think I've seen a studio since 1974 which had a TEAC 2340 and tons of shag carpet

Attachments

• P1120622_700.jpg
    P1120622_700.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 23
  • metropole1_dub2.mp3
    5.9 MB · Views: 14
Have you ever posted a track here? I am so busy with life that I don't get chance to listen to many members creations. :(

Have you ever posted a track here? I am so busy with life that I don't get chance to listen to many members creations. :(

I only just got around to putting up a tone failure in the latest tone thread I think its on page two. That was wasn't a planed thing but a recorded experiment

Attachments

• dbuild1cropEXP.mp3
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
I'll just say that I respect you for posting that. Looks like a fun space to create! :)

I didn't even have my interface hooked up - yet. Normally the ultranova is in the rack behind me the there's synths to my right in the rack. Normally my little processing rack is forward and the 2-track far left and I can set my little guitar amps right where the mixer is in the photo. It is really SMALL and what it looks like just now. My desk is 6x4-foot and the room might be 10x8. Yet there are some open reel in this room telefunken, 2) tube TEAC, three TEAC regular stereo, 2-track, and 2340 4-track, 2) revox, 2) tube panasonic, tube Roberts, and a dokorder. plus classical guitar, 2) acoustic 6-string and a 12, bass, 2) thin cut and a lp-style electric. plus the amps, etc..

Attachments

• P1120673_800.jpg
    P1120673_800.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 14
Im skeptical so would need to see some testing aka shootout?

like a homemade DIY pop-filter works in front of the mic, I wonder just how much difference a Rexlexion$$$ does that a slab of foam on a wall behind a mic wont do. Some sound clips and oscope snapshots would be interesting.

hahaaaaa...yeah if you have real customers the Reflexion might be a bit more cosmetically attractive to Taylor Swift in your house singing than your Garrw Foam DIY style..ahaha....Im thinking the Garrw Foam wrap for $5.99 might sell but you need a few pictures of some famous one using it....

Reflexion...I didnt buy one, I dont see how its any difference than putting a pillow or auralex behind the mic on the wall or something.... but my main point for not buying it is its size, and Im a sit on my arse desktop dood.

Real or Scam?

Attachments

• Real or Scam.jpg
    Real or Scam.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 12
I have a padded bathroom throne with flowers that I keep as a backup. I think it would go on a music stand with the right bowl

Back