EQing the SM58 for recording

jwkim

Ive been trying to get rid of the muddiness/stuffiness sound of the SM58 using the UX2 interface
Ive tried diff gear presets, and so far have made it a little more clearer sounding by
rolling off 160-200hz and lower
However, it still has that stuffiness in it and cant seem to get rid of it
It really makes it sound like I have a stuffy nose...
I also use an apex435 for my guitar and have tried that for vocals and the stuffiness is gone!
Unfortunately, i really love the great acoustic sound it gives for my guitar and would like to stick with the 58s for vocals, (the 58 doesnt sound as good for guitar)
Anyone know what I can do to get rid of that muddiness?!?
(I've tried singing into in it many different distances away from the mic)

Is it just not too good for recording? I've seen many live videos where the sm58 doesnt have that muddiness (or is considerably reduced)!

The SM58 is a decent enough mic for a lot of things, but it may just not be right for your voice. Maybe you need another Apex 435.

In the mean time try cutting all the way up to 500Hz or so.

Ive only used the 58 for live work but often roll off at about 700hz on the sweep mid and add a touch of top - result a breathy sound... also if you are singing too close you will get a "muddier" sound with proximity effect. Muck around with positions and see.
Good Luck!

It may not be the mic that's muddy. What kind of speaker system are you using? Does it have passive or active crossovers?

However, it still has that stuffiness in it and cant seem to get rid of it
It really makes it sound like I have a stuffy nose...
I also use an apex435 for my guitar and have tried that for vocals and the stuffiness is gone! ...
Question (two then..)
Are you right up on the 58?
And did you do the same with the Apex (mouth up on the grill?

I find the very thing that makes us think 'dynamics give better isolation to bleed and noise ..typically closer working distance, is the thing that makes it tougher to get a decent recorded vocal. 'Puffy, stuffiness as you say, and the nasal tone (sometimes) which is the narrow incomplete version 'mostly mouth vocal sound.
Try it with a screen set off the mic (or not) and play with 1, 2, 3 or so inches out, reset the eq for the tone difference in loss of proximity effect if need be..
At that point you can be open to consider other positions (like from slightly above aimed down'?) as with any mic a few inches out.

It may not be the mic that's muddy. What kind of speaker system are you using? Does it have passive or active crossovers?

Was that you that mentioned monitor crossovers in another thread recently?
(Don't want to derail'.. :drunk: but curious what's that about?

Was that you that mentioned monitor crossovers in another thread recently?
(Don't want to derail'.. :drunk: but curious what's that about?
Might of been me. Here's a quote of me from another thread:
Mud is what you get when two different frequencies are being amplified simultaneously creating what is called intermodulation distortion. That happens when higher frequencies are modulated with the lower and the high's lose their transparency. That causes individual instruments to be hard to separate because their harmonics all blend together in a wall of sound.

It also is a product of phase abberations and cancellations of passive crossovers in a speaker system, there is actually a phase reversal between the low frequency and the mid+high frequency outputs. The low to mid crossover frequency is usually in the 300hz range which is where the intelligence of vocals begins thus the vocals are hard to understand when things get loud. (mud)

Bi-amping or tri-amping your speakers using an active crossover is a way to clean up the mud and get more power to your individual speakers.

I dont use speakers for the output really because I only have cheap $60 ones that dont sound too great
I just listen using my akg headphones...
I've rolled off more of the lower-mid frequencies and it kinda sounds a little too bright now, the breathing, and esses and tchs sound very pronounced

Back