EQ settings when recording

424Mk2Man

I've heard that when recording you should record everything flat (w/o any boosts or cuts of any EQ) except guitar, but I've also heard you shouldn't mess with too much EQ when mixing. Should I get the desired EQ when recording, then barely mess with EQ when mixing, or visa versa, or what?

Rubin1838@ij.net

I get the best, most even sound when I try to get the sound i want before recording without eq. I try not to eq afterwards either. It depends on the quality of mics and preamps also. Many people want to hear a radio ready shimmery sound while they record and over eq to make it sound better(?). That is the job of mastering.

Get the desired EQs and Timbres, BEFORE the sound is captured by the microphone.

If you have a good quality mic, then let the mic do the work. Move it around until it sounds better before you mess with the eq. Just the act of engaging the eq adds noise to the signal, so only use it when you need to. It's best to use good miking techniques than to over-eq.

YES! As a bass player, I was always trying to get PUNCH by adding different frequencies, and finally figured out that removing low end rumble was much more effective in producing a nice sound -- both live and in the studio. It also helps me to keep my recording levels in check, because LF's (that I might not even hear) are usually what send me into the red zone. A recording/design engineer friend confirms this. He says that most people tend think too much in terms of "adding" frequencies. "Subtractive EQ" is really the way to go.

[This message has been edited by acidjazz (edited 08-18-1999).]

[This message has been edited by acidjazz (edited 08-18-1999).]

The only thing we really EQ are things like Cymbals and hi hats and kick drum. I like my kick drum with a bit of smack in it. Sometimes some hi hats and cymbals can sound dark but with a little EQing they sound the way I like em.EQing is a preference to the engineer but too much EQing can hurt your recording.We learned this the hard way.
Radio puts music through a series of EQ's and compression. Flat recordings, in my opinion tend to sound better on the radio.Most people at home or in your car EQ your music to the room that its in anyway.Just my opinion.

Bill

Back