Eq for direct recording of elec. guitar

Dave63

Hi all!
I've been doing a little recording on my PC and using a tube pre-amp for my guitar, running direct into my pc. I'd like to avoid using an amp, since I don't have a good one and the background noise level is kind of high.. ( i live a mile from a major airport). Anyway.. I'm having some problems with eq, mosting when doing finger style stuff.. I end up with nice tone, mostly, but occasionally, get huge bass on the the low E string. Now, I know that I can listen and cut what I think sounds right, but my monitor system isn't too good either.. so I was wondering if there was a good reference for eq'ing an electric gtr (direct input recording)

Thanks for any help!!

:))

Your probably pretty safe doing a bass roll off at around 150-250 hz. You could probably cut everthing below 80hz. It's hard to EQ without good monitors but those are pretty standard EQ cuts on guitar.

The first thing that you have to do is get you a good monitoring system. Because if your not hearing what is really there, then it will sound bad most of the time. When you get some monitors, cut about 3-7db in the 100hz-400hz lows. if that don't work, try going down to 80hz-100hz.

zeke

Back