EP Recording, Part 1- Drums ADVICE PLEASE

Sidney1000x

I'm going to be recording my band's EP. I've been learning a lot about recording and just want to see what others have to say on the topics. First up is drums.

Any tips on microphone placements/recording with the following:

1 Audix D6 (dynamic)
1 Audix i5 (dynamic)
2 Audix ADX51's (small diaphragm condenser)
1 Blue Bluebird (large diaphragm condenser)
1 Blue Spark (large diaphragm condenser)

I have an interface with 6 slots for my mics. And I will be recording in a smaller room, any tips are welcomed whether it's mic placements, dealing with a smaller room, or whatever. Thanks!!!!

First off you should give more details. What is the kit being recorded to start. How many drums/cymbals? How small is 'smaller' room.

sorry, first time posting :)

I am using an Orange County Drums & Percussion Cherry Wood kit.
kick is a 22x20
snare is a custom maple 5x14
rack tom is 9x12
floor tom is 16x16

Paiste 15" alpha rock hi hats
Zildjian zbt 16"
Sabian HHX 10" splash
Zildjian 21" Sweet ride (brand new)
Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection crash
and a Zildjian ZBT 18" china

Small room as in around 12ft by 14ft low celings. maybe around 12 ft

D6 kick, i5 snare top, 51's spaced overheads (equidistant from snare on far L/R of kit), Blue's on toms. Careful with those. Not sure how those particular mics sound.

I use a condensers on my floor toms, but not on a rack tom. Be careful with placement as they can pick up a bunch of cymbals, especially if cymbals are close to the rack tom. It might just work though.

Depending on how your room sounds, you may be able to not even need the Blue doods to grab the toms. The overheads may be enough.

I would start with throwing down tracks with whatever setup you wish and figuring out for yourself what sounds best.

You could be playing in an Amish band for all I know. You haven't given insight into what type of sound you are looking for. Some use 3 mics on a kit and that is sufficient. Never works for me, but I am more of a heavy rock guy.

Record what you have and post it here. Then maybe I could give some kind of personal opinion. Still, it will just be an opinion. :)

Maybe throw up some moving blankets on the walls and foam on the ceiling if it's a bad sounding tiny room, you'll need to get as much of the "room" out of the sound as possible by the sound of it.

Really, recording drums is something that is hard to learn from someone telling you. It's kinda like you have to do it a bunch of times to understand it. You don't want to "test" it out when you start recording the EP. You want to do this on a day you are not recording the EP to just test it and set things right.

Make the drummer hit the drums as hard as he is going to in the take he is recording to make sure it doesn't clip. You will need to use a compressor after you record, but you can worry about that later. Because of the dynamics of drumming, "one snare hit is hit harder than the second snare hit" You will need compression, which means you WILL need headroom. Which means you will not want to record at a loud volume. You will want to record below -18 more than likely. Maybe even lower. As low as possible while still getting the signal nice and clear and good. Turn the headphones or monitors up loud if you have to. Because you will bring the volume up later, don't try to record it at a decent volume going in, or when you try to correct it, or hire someone else to compress it and master it to correct it, they won't be able to without making it sound horrible. They need a clean signal with no clipping.

I record the drums at a lower level than any other instrument.

Room sound, you got to work with what you have. Put muffling rings on the drums. That will help out with the ringing in the room. The overheads you may not be able to turn up in the mix as much as a pro studio would just due to the room. But the room sound shouldn't be a problem if the drums don't ring out too much. I use Evans E-Rings. Remo also makes these rings. They make a huge difference for recording.

bass drum mic placement, depends on what kinda drummer this is and what sound you're going for. In a metal band for example it's important to hear the double bass strokes and not just one continuous bass drum sound echoing everywhere. So we usually take the resonant head off of the bass drum. We put the microphone inside the drum almost all the way up to the beaters. If you have a hole in the bass drum head you can do it that way too, although the resonant head might still cause a sound you don't like.

In a rock band, that doesn't do a lot of double bass and wants a "big" bass drum sound and wants more bass, a lower frequency and for it to ring out, they do not place the microphone that close and they do not put muffling in the bass drum.

Most metal bands, use pillows in the bass drums even if they don't do it live, they will in the studio a lot of times. Nowadays they have professional pillows and different types of muffling, but some of the biggest bands out there, when in the studio still use a literal pillow. Although they may not use it live.

Some rock bands prefer the echoing big bass drum sound, like a classic rock bass drum sound, so they will not place the microphone anywhere near the beaters. They may even place the microphone outside of the bass drum right in front of it. Where as in metal we would prefer it to be inside the bass drum always.

Some do both and mix it together.

Back