Elusive

alien

Went to record dums for another song last session. Kick drum was about 1/2 the amplitude on the recording. I freaked.

I checked connections and compressor settings - all good. I checked program setting all good. Tested it on group 2 - good amplitude.

Grabbed my meter and started buzzing out the lines. Everything checked out. Frustrated, I could only conclude that input one one my Antex Studiocard was dying. Now I was pissed.

Sitting there last night, and for no particular reason, I took apart the backshell of the D-Sub connector that feeds the soundcard.

Everything looked fine. flipped it over everything was good......wait. Noticed something. Turned it back over to look at the top row and lo and behold I saw red wire whose solder joint had broken loose and was just touching the solder cup when at the right angle. That wire is Ch1+ IN.

Talk about a scare! Buying a new card was not in the budget lol.

Conclusion (And something I've always done, just brain farted this time) If something is going awry with your recordings and you think it's a cable - take them apart and bend 'em around while visually inspecting them!

My blonde moment for the year I guess :D

Back