Electric Vs. Acoustic drums.

Electric Vs Acoustic Drums.

• Total voters
electric vs. acoustic, mac vs. pc, analog vs. digital...does it even matter? It all comes down to your ability and your taste. If your idea has strength, and you are honest with yourself, anything can sound great. Each instrument has their own character and they all requires good judgment which is rare but worthy of pursuit.

Are you like running for President or something?????:eek::D

electric vs. acoustic, mac vs. pc, analog vs. digital...does it even matter?

Yes, El Presidente, yes, to someone. Hence the lengthy and passionate debates triggered.

If your idea has strength, and you are honest with yourself, anything can sound great.

Of course, if your idea is weak and flabby and you are adept at lying to yourself and one's capacity for self deceit is of gargantuan proportions, anything can sound great. :laughings:

electric sets are really expensive i think you should use an acoustic set with triggers to prevent whatever distortion you are getting.

First let me say that my personal opinion is that electric kits (or hybrid acoustic kits with triggers) in a home studio almost always sound better than acoustic kits because most people's living rooms are not designed to be all that acoustically pleasing. This isn't to say that good drum tones can't be done at home with acoustic kits, but in most cases. :eek:

But the idea that an e-kit is more expensive is a little off to me. Lets put the scenario together:

Even an intermediate kit will run you roughly $6-800 for the shell kit. Then you need cymbals, and IMO you can't cheap out on cymbals as junky zxt ziljians sound and record like junky ziljian zxt cymbals. :D But lets say you decide to just get a zxt or zbt or whatever pack. So tack on another $300, although personally I would rather that number be around twice that with a set of nice cymbals. So roughly a min of around a grand for a useable brand new drumset.

Oh but we are forgetting the mics, mic cable, and mic stands. I'll say for the sake of being cheap that this can be done for $400 (although, I really doubt it).

So now the cost for real drums with real mics is up to $1400.

Now lets switch over to e drums:

You can purchase a brand new Rolland TD-4 for a thousand bucks, a m-audio midi module for $40 and a copy of addictive drums for $200.

So e-kit $1250

So on the cheap side acoustic drums are in the same area (sort of, like I said what I consider a good acoustic drums, not including mics would be in the ballpark area of $2k or more new purchase price). But the quality you would get with e drums in a home studio environment would be pretty staggering.

ringo, charlie, ginger, keith, and levon all had it right=acoustic drums.
if you can afford a decent kit and can play, it is much more gratifying to record and play real drums that slabs of plastic and rubber.

ringo, charlie, ginger, keith, and levon all had it right=acoustic drums.
if you can afford a decent kit and can play, it is much more gratifying to record and play real drums than slabs of plastic and rubber.

Being an acoustic drum advocate, I should leave well alone but I can't resist pointing out that Ringo, Charlie, Ginger, Keith and Levon played in an era that didn't have 'slabs of plastic and rubber' and given the experimental boundaries the Beatles pushed with sound, given that Charlie used to use a toy travelling drumkit on some of the Stones' late 60s output, given Ginger's dabblings with world music long before there was such a thing and given the Whos' penchant for trying out different synths at the dawn of their creation and most of these guys home studio connections or usage and that they were often on the lookout for new toys, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that had electric drums existed at the time.........

electric sets are really expensive i think you should use an acoustic set with triggers to prevent whatever distortion you are getting.

I think that both electronic and acoustic kits can run the same price tags.

Although you can get REALLY cheap acoustic sets, while the cheapest e-kit I've seen is about $500.

An acoustic kit with triggers would surely be more expensive than an eletronic only kit wouldn't it?

funny.. electronic kit samples(real kit presets anyway) are recorded from samples, which means, they were created with, and/or based around, a real kit.. hmm interesting.

I've gotten such a good sound with e kits before and honestly I've showed my work to others who can't tell the difference.. Yeah you'll get a more natural sound with an acoustic kit, but don't rule out e kits just because they don't sound "natural" because this is COMPLETELY untrue, especially at some of the sample and bit rates of modern recording today.

Don't you tell people to listen to the monitors they want before they buy?
Then listen to the e kit before you get it, listen to its sound, is it customizable? as far tone, shell type, and size? where are you getting your sound from? sound module or your DAW? or even a plug in?

Don't be quick to judge, listen for yourself and decide.

acoustic kits. You get the bleed through and air in your recordings that an electric kit can't produce or simulate. Those two components are what really bring drums out to me.

acoustic kits. You get the bleed through and air in your recordings that an electric kit can't produce or simulate. Those two components are what really bring drums out to me.

E-drums certainly can and do bleed these days. And you get exact control over how much bleed there is and what mics are receiving bleed from what drums. It's no harder than recording every mic when you sample and then saving it as a multi-track instead of collapsing it to stereo.

No, the real downside to e-drums is you are locked in to the production choices of the guy who recorded the samples.

yes I've just researched this after my post and did find out that superior drummer does just this and even listened to some samples on toontracks website and do have to say pretty amazing.

Fuck all this PC "there's room for everybody" bullshit.

Electronic kits are fucking faggy. Use em if you have to when no one's looking, or if you don't have the ear and/or motor skills to tune and mic a real kit and have it sound decent. :spank:

There, I said what everyone was already thinking.

Acoustic drums win.

Electronic kits are fucking faggy. Use em if you have to when no one's looking, or if you don't have the ear and/or motor skills to tune and mic a real kit and have it sound decent. :spank:

Acoustic drums win.

Exactly what i was thinking, but do have to say since i recently have previewed superior drummer it's not to shabby if you don't have the means for a real kit. All said though acoustic wins

Acoustic drums win.

Umm.. no.. and this isn't an opinion, this is common sense. Just because you don't use them doesn't mean they should be banned from earth. Your a recording engineer and no two engineers do things the same. I personally can tune an acoustic kit to the point where they mix themselves, OBVIOUSLY acoustic kits sound better and more realistic. But I started on an e kit and it was great practice.

stop being ignorant guys, acoustic>E-kits in my opinion but I PROMISE you I can get an E-kit to sound the same as an acoustic. Promise

Umm.. no.. and this isn't an opinion, this is common sense. Just because you don't use them doesn't mean they should be banned from earth. Your a recording engineer and no two engineers do things the same. I personally can tune an acoustic kit to the point where they mix themselves, OBVIOUSLY acoustic kits sound better and more realistic. But I started on an e kit and it was great practice.

stop being ignorant guys, acoustic>E-kits in my opinion but I PROMISE you I can get an E-kit to sound the same as an acoustic. Promise

:laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings:

I'm not a recording engineer. I'm a motherfucking drummer that can play and tune and record real drums.

:laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings:

I'm not a recording engineer. I'm a motherfucking drummer that can play and tune and record real drums.

So can I!! I love love love my kit its amazing. But I'm just saying E-kits can be useful especially in tight situations.

here I have to get off, I'll be brave and do this,

1 608 617 4694

text or call

electronic kits are way better than acoustic drums...geez you'd all be playing lutes and harpsichords if everyone embraced technology like you guys..

in fact e kits even look better and are more likely to attract women...

So can I!! I love love love my kit its amazing. But I'm just saying E-kits can be useful especially in tight situations.

here I have to get off, I'll be brave and do this,

1 608 617 4694

text or call

No thanks. I don't do electronic drums or electronic dating.

Back