View Poll Results: Electric Vs Acoustic Drums.

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Electric

20 21.74%
  • Acoustic

72 78.26%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Vs. Acoustic drums.

RAMI Guest
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerflystudio View Post

Unless you are (or have access to) a very good drummer, with the best mics and the best recording environment money can buy ..... you should do with either an electronic kit and / or midi programming.
    I don't agree with a lot of this. Yes, you need a good drummer, but you also need a good drummer if you're using electronics, so that goes without saying either way. As far as mics and room...no...it doesn't have to be the "very best money can buy". I know many people that record in their garages and basements with "decent" mics and a little bit of room treatment and get pro sounding recordings. What makes electronics any cheaper??? Don't the good ones cost money, too???

Programming drums is in itself a bit of an skill (maybe even an art-form), but you'll learn quickly and nothing yields such easy, pro-sounding results for us 'real world' (skint) home recordists!
    Yes, SOME people (like 1 in 25) can program drums the way a drummer would play them and make then sound convincing. But most non-drummer "home recordists" don't even come close. So, I don't agree with "nothing yields such easy, pro-sounding results for us 'real world' (skint) home recordists!". I rarely hear pro-sounding results from home-recordists that have programmed and tweaked for weeks.

And since you keep mentioning "real world". In the real world, many real people have real drums and record with them. What makes recording drums something out of a "fantasy world" in your opinion?
    Last edited by RAMI; 03-02-2010 at 16:49.

Thanks
    Ain't nothin like the real thing baby!
    Busy recording...
    http://nysteacherjobs.com/

Thanks
    is like saying "sex or a wank?" really isn't it
    sex, drugs and on the dole

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by YorkshireTrippe View Post
    Not if you've broken both legs or your back and your woman is willing........

Originally Posted by tigerflystudio ; Unless you are (or have access to) a very good drummer, with the best mics and the best recording environment money can buy (which, with respect, not many of us are / have, which is why we're on a 'Home-Recording' forum!) then I would say you should do with either an electronic kit and / or midi programming.

It's all well and good saying acoustic drums are best - undoubtedly, they are in a live situation! - but in the real world of the home-recordist, the simplest and most cost-effective way of getting good (pro sounding) drum tracks for your music, is to go electro.

There's a whole stack of pro's out there using MODERN electronic kits, triggers and software because of the time, money and effort saved. And seriously, the sound is nothing short of BRILLIANT these days. Every parameter and every bit of programming can be tweaked at any time, and HERE'S THE TRUTH: 99.9% of our audience will not know the difference. All they will love is the killer drum sound you've got.

Your tracks will be transformed for the better. Programming drums is in itself a bit of an skill (maybe even an art-form),

Alot of what the Tiger says is true, particularly the bit about the general public, not so much knowing the difference, but not really caring. It's also true that many many pros have gone over to the dark side {} although in most cases I'd say on a hunch that those that have gone electric have done so in cahoots with acoustic.
    But it's simply not true that you need the best rooms or the best mics or a "very good drummer". How do you quantify that ? I mean, I've always considered myself fortunate coz all my recording life, I've had drummers {indeed, the reason I bought a drumkit in the first place was so that my drummer buds could drum} as friends. But I've not thought about how good or not they may be. If you can play with someone, sometimes you go with their limitations, same way they go with mine. Do most home recorders seriously not know any drummers ? Not even can they sometimes help out, I mean do most of us not actually know any ? Think on that one for a minute.

Many home recordists that track do so in the spaces they have available. I record drums certainly in my kids' bedroom. From the opinions that I read, their room is a disaster on every level imaginable, almost square, low ceiling, beds, wardrobes, toys, cupboards, big windows, aeroplanes flying by.......I have had great fun learning to mic the kit in the various different ways and I've had to be rather inventive. I like the sounds I can get. I don't have a fortune to spend on mics. I bought a couple of cheap sets {one by Behringer, one by Superlux} and in concert with a couple of condensers, close micing, interesting overhead placements and some "after the fact" naughtiness, I like the sounds I can get. They may be rubbish, but I like them ! I don't want to sound like those elitist double bassists from the 50s-early 70s who had such a downer on the bass guitar that they got all depressed and superior. It's not the same thing. I do actually like some of the electric sounds.
    The point about programming like a drummer is a really good one and even some drummers can't program like drummers ! Because breaking playing octopus fashion down to individual elements is not easy.
    Anyway, what do I know ?!
    Wack, why not go for both ? You may find that you can have your cake and eat it !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by YorkshireTrippe View Post
    Not necessarily. To continue with your sex analogy:

Acoustic drumkit = Missionary sex... or at best doggy style
    Tripped out electronic crazefest = spicy, raunchy, far out fetish delight

[QUOTE=George Carlin]Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Oscar Wilde]All art is useless.[/QUOTE]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by noisewreck View Post
    Not necessarily. To continue with your sex analogy:

Acoustic drumkit = Missionary sex... or at best doggy style
    Tripped out electronic crazefest = spicy, raunchy, far out fetish delight

Which carries an immediate assumption that one is intrinsically better than the other....
    In the UK, many a politician has 'expired' via the latter !!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grimtraveller View Post
    Which carries an immediate assumption that one is intrinsically better than the other....
    Not necessarily. But each has it's merits. Fetish spanky spanky (and other more extreme stuff) can be fun, sexy and even visually rather stimulating, yet might not be emotionally very satisfying, on the other hand, missionary sex with a woman you're crazy about can be a very uplifting lovemaking session.

Quote Originally Posted by grimtraveller View Post
    In the UK, many a politician has 'expired' via the latter !!
    I think my all time fave scandal was Max Mosley
    [QUOTE=George Carlin]Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Oscar Wilde]All art is useless.[/QUOTE]

Thanks
    Ahem !
    Anyway, on with the show; We were talking drums.....

Thanks
    Very informative posts guys, I see both are good/unique in their own ways... such a hard decision.

Thanks
    Hi again folks,

Each to their own, huh? If you're recording acoustic drums at home with mid to low end mics, then that's all good. Seriously, I did it myself for years and really enjoyed that process and learned a lot from it.

I then started using midi programmed drum with real cymbals tracked over the top (overdubbed) and got some great results there too. Now, though, I have fully shifted over to the 'darkside' because modern soundbanks and midi gives you control over pretty much everything - velocity, resonance, stick attack, timbre, pitch, reverb tails, room size / fx. It just surpasses the quality of what could achieve at home with my acoustic kit and mics.

And the fact that I can don a pair of headphones late at night and within a couple of hours have a fully completed backbeat for a song, well, that just works so much better for me. Alright I fine-tune the drum mix the following day through the studio monitors, but still, the groundwork can be mostly done late at night when external noise is an issue (for the family / neighbours).

Thread Information