Editing Drums

pavel_shalman

Hi everybody,

I'm editing drums for the first time (just a pilot track at the moment). My question is this: Where is the main part of the beat graphically? At the beginning of the sample or is it where the sample is the widest? Another words, if I wanna put a drum hit exactly on the click, where do I line it up?

Thanks guys!

P.S. wasn't sure if I should put this under recording or mixing techniques. I'm doing editing during the recording process...

It doesn't matter.....pick the leading edge or the middle, and just stick with it, then line up everything else to that....and remember, it's not how it looks, it's how it sounds, so you should do it somewhat loosely/randomly, and let there be small difference....one on the leading edge, another in a bit off, etc, etc....so it's not too perfect.

Why/what are you editing during recording...???

Thanks.

I meant I'm editing during the recording process not during actual recording.

Yes it's a bit hard to go on sound at the moment cause I only have drums. It's a bit difficult to see what works best for the song without the rest of it. The plan is to do home recording on most of the tracks on top of the pilot drums. Then go in the studio and re-record drums, perhaps together with bass...

Well then, if you're going to re-record the drums later in a studio....just drop some MIDI drum grooves down, do your other tracksagainst them, and that's it.

No need to edit the drums.

Most MIDI drum grooves will be solid tempo with good feel, so you should be able to record your other tracks against them with ease....and don't take the MIDI drum grooves and quantize them. Leave them alone for the most part.

Find a MIDI drum groove you like the feel of, record some of it on a beat timeline (not a time timeline) and have a look where it's putting the samples... use that as a guide or start point.

When editing, just pick the point in the wave that you think you can line up the best and just be consistent. Consistency is the key.

Did you have the drummer record to a click? This helps tremendously when editing drums by allowing you to use the measured lines in your DAW as a visual reference…but as said before, the listening is the most important part.

EDIT….just realized how old this thread is.

Back