Dynamic Duo Question

billisa

I'm going to be recording a duo singing acapella... I'd like to record them individually, and can easily do so, but they may want to sing together...

What's the best way to mic two people? I have a pair of Studio Projects B1's at my disposal, and a sound booth.

Obviously I can have them both singing into one mic, but I'd like to do a nice stereo mix. Just use one mic for each?

You could use a single bi-directional mic, or figure 8 pattern and make them stand opposite to each other, so they feel comfortable while singing. You could also use two mics facing 45 degrees outside with a tight cardiod pattern this way you can get a nice stereo mix without much leaking of the other singer. It all depends on the mic placement, so do trial and error placements and find the sweet spot. Mike placement can be 25% theoritical but 75% trial and error placement. Avoid putting the mics exactly parallel, you may get too much phasing troubles. These are just my suggestions, lets see what others are about to say.

Yo Jey:

I have had some sessions with two vocalists, female. Both had strong voices.

I used one mic and, with the right input, and a good mic pre, you can probably do fine.

If the talent have good voices, no problem. Weak voices, and no mic technique, well, you're the engineer and have to solve that problem.

Otherwise, maybe multiple mics might be the answer.

Green Hornet:p :D :D :cool:

Back