Dual Lavalier Mics on One Recorder..?

SeniorXJ

I'm looking for better convo recording equipment cause the stuff I have now sucks. I'm thinking of getting the Zoom H1n (newer model) and use a Y connector to run dual microphones. Possibly an Aspen HQ-S, a JK MIC-J 044, Rode Smartlav+ OR just one Sennheiser ME 2-II; but I can only afford one ME 2-II. Problem is that I have to do this in a noisy mall without them knowing. (yes I know the laws in my state!).

I'm thinking I can put one on my chest and one down my leg pointed towards the other person. My 1st question is should I use directional microphones or monos? 2nd question is how can I record in a noisy place and still get the conversation? 3rd question is will 2 Mics be better than one?

Thanks!

The zoom is a very poor choice. Two channels, with two proper inputs makes so much more sense. I'm not even sure that the ME2 will run on 2.5V, and the idea off connecting two microphones with a Y adaptor and stuffing one down your leg just makes me wonder what on earth you are trying to do. Buy something that can do the job properly, and forget stuffing things down your leg because omni mics are, well, omni, so you can't point them. If you choose cardioid lavs then they need very careful aiming - and a cardioid from a few feet away in a noisy mall is going to be rubbish!

I think you need too explain further - because the chances of getting intelligible audio with this kit is slim indeed.

Simply put, I need equipment to record a one on one convo without seeing any of the equipment. We will be sitting down at a table in a moderately noisy place.

No - not the right mic - it's designed for a smartphone and draws it's power from the jack. The Tascam iOS a great product and uses standard XLR - so you want a mic with proper phantom power. Something similar to the Samson QL5 CL - would be about right with the XLR adaptor that means it will work with the Tascam.

Samson QL5CL – Thomann UK

That looks Bob on! Not a lot of money and very decent sensitivity for a wee capacitor. Most of the lavs' I have seen are down at -58/-60dBV.

I would have preferred it to be an Omni? Less handling/clothes noise and I doubt it stays directive when secreted about the person?

Dave.

SeniorXJ, are you still needing this?

Can you tell us more about the application? If you're doing PI or undercover work, you're gonna want a different mic than if you are doing youtube prank videos or discrete entertainment/hidden camera stuff. In the first instance the top priority is the mics invisibility and its ability to capture dialogue. For undercover work, its best to use a mic that does not even need to be pointed and can pickup directly through clothing. If you imagine a real life scenario where an undercover asset is 'wearing a wire', this is the type of mic it sounds like you want. They often have a focused range in the 1-4k spectrum where dialogue lives, but its enough to be able to identify which party is speaking an what they say. Excess noise is removed using forensic audio software then submitted to the court along side the original audio so both parties can verify that the audio was cleaned up but edited.

As Rob says, lapel mics are really not for this application.

Back