drum bleed through bass guitar

Hi all
I have an issue when recording a band live. They all record in the same room and for some reason there is bleed of the drums through the bass guitar. Not a lot, but enough to cause issues when compressing in the mix. I've tried everything including going direct in and removing all other mics to the interface. Is it possible the bass guitar pick ups are picking up the transients from the drums? If so is there any way of reducing this other than overdubbing or putting the bass player in another room?

Its possible that the bass pick up is picking up drums. There is also a chance that there is some kind of cross talk in your recording set up.

Its hard for me to imagine enough bleed coming through an electric bass pickup recorded direct to create any kind of problems when mixing (a miked amp is a different story)

I have had this happen more than once. One time the bass player was in the control room tracking bass to the drum track and later the band wanted to take the drums out on one section of the track, you could hear the drums very faint on the bass track. It was not cross talk it was the bass picking up the sound.

We plugged in the bass and could record someone shouting into the pick up, what had happened was that the old Fender bass (1972 Precision) pick up had become microphonic and was picking up sound. Not enough to cause any problems under normal situations but enough to cause problems in this case.

We re-recorded the bass in the tracking room with the bass player wearing headphones, all fixed.

Cheers
Alan.

That's one loud drummer and/or some serious compression you use.

This was a Jazz outfit, and we were in the control room with the bass. This was the worst example of this happening to me so I wanted to highlight it.

Compression on the bass, you bet, but not much in this case, and when used it has to be set up correctly to suit the player, desired sound, and for the type of music it is.

Cheers
Alan.

I have had this happen more than once. One time the bass player was in the control room tracking bass to the drum track and later the band wanted to take the drums out on one section of the track, you could hear the drums very faint on the bass track. It was not cross talk it was the bass picking up the sound.

We plugged in the bass and could record someone shouting into the pick up, what had happened was that the old Fender bass (1972 Precision) pick up had become microphonic and was picking up sound. Not enough to cause any problems under normal situations but enough to cause problems in this case.

We re-recorded the bass in the tracking room with the bass player wearing headphones, all fixed.

Cheers
Alan.

Thank you..... I'm not going crazy:D

Back