Dr. Luke's tent booth

I forgot about that controversy. . . I wonder what happened with all that.

On second thought I'm not sure the tent is doing as much as the room it's in. So maybe I'll find a barn or a church or something. And put the tent inside that. :)

a) it's not in a tiny room (if that's what you meant) and b) there's enough mass in the stuff hung that it would attenuate at voc frequencies.

lol miro and greg you guys are so cute, one posts a comment and about 90% of the time the other pops on to agree with him. I can't tell if you're one person with two accounts or just the tightest bromance in home recording.

His wasn't a tentative step into POP.
He embraced the tentacles of Brittney's Eurosvengali.

That's funny, he's got a million dollar studio and sets up a tent with blankets !!!!!

Yeah, at first I thought it was to reduce reflections but folks other places noted it might not even be necessary. It might just make the artist comfortable. I found it while looking up ways people in small rooms make improvised booths. Thought it was pretty cool.

Yeah, at first I thought it was to reduce reflections but folks other places noted it might not even be necessary. It might just make the artist comfortable. I found it while looking up ways people in small rooms make improvised booths. Thought it was pretty cool.

Well with my little recording setup, I use Auralex and shipping blankets. What I found was I could scream into it and I would get no reflections at all. The Auralex just soaks up the sound. You can hear the lack of sound. What I'm surprised about with Dr. Luke's tent is that he uses that instead of an actual sound booth. I guess it boils down to "use whatever works."

Well with my little recording setup, I use Auralex and shipping blankets. What I found was I could scream into it and I would get no reflections at all. The Auralex just soaks up the sound. You can hear the lack of sound. What I'm surprised about with Dr. Luke's tent is that he uses that instead of an actual sound booth. I guess it boils down to "use whatever works."

Do you get any boxiness when you record? I've managed to get rid of the nastiest reflections but I have the hardest time with that boxiness. I haven't attempted a booth yet.

Do you get any boxiness when you record? I've managed to get rid of the nastiest reflections but I have the hardest time with that boxiness. I haven't attempted a booth yet.
For the record.. I didn't get the 'tent being funny at all. :>)
One of the points, or keys' in this is the differences -between small solid rooms or booths, and a large likely well designed room.
In our smaller rooms we have more troublesome low, low mid resonance issues than a nice spacious area. I.e.the source of the reflections are -closer- and louder by comparison at the mic. And with what I've read and experienced somewhat (some re this gig), is this applies exactally the same trying to solve for 'real booths' as well.
In other words- all lot easier to arrive at booth that approach the size of some of the small rooms we have to deal with around here!
This is a non-solid and therefor non resonant small space. Meant to be dry at the mic, + comfy for the artist. = efficient for the gig. :)
One of the really cool things I miss here at home- that you can experience in larger spaces, is killing most of the small room crap at the mic (that's pretty easy with a vocal), but then letting in as much or little of the larger room sounds you might like to use. One is mostly 0-20ms destructive crap, the other potentially fun ambient.

I haven't noticed any boxiness, what I'm getting is a nice clear recording with no room noise. I'm quite happy with the end results I'm getting. I know my recording rig really looks half azzed, but it does the job for me. For a home studio, I'm getting really nice results with the tests I've done. I've had some phase issues with some of my stereo recordings, but I have that resolved now. I have a set of Yamaha HS8's coming soon which will help with my mixing. I played one of my latest recordings for my family today and they were quite impressed with the quality of sound.

For the record.. I didn't get the 'tent being funny at all. :>)
One of the points, or keys' in this is the differences -between small solid rooms or booths, and a large likely well designed room.
In our smaller rooms we have more troublesome low, low mid resonance issues than a nice spacious area. I.e.the source of the reflections are -closer- and louder by comparison at the mic. And with what I've read and experienced somewhat (some re this gig), is this applies exactally the same trying to solve for 'real booths' as well.
In other words- all lot easier to arrive at booth that approach the size of some of the small rooms we have to deal with around here!
This is a non-solid and therefor non resonant small space. Meant to be dry at the mic, + comfy for the artist. = efficient for the gig. :)
One of the really cool things I miss here at home- that you can experience in larger spaces, is killing most of the small room crap at the mic (that's pretty easy with a vocal), but then letting in as much or little of the larger room sounds you might like to use. One is mostly 0-20ms destructive crap, the other potentially fun ambient.

This. Home recorders don't realize that real pro vocal booths are usually bigger than our spare bedrooms/scrapbooking/recording "studio".

Back