Double tracking vs Stereo guitar

One performance is one performance. Two amps or two mics makes more of a difference, but it's still copying the same performance to two tracks. Yes, offsetting one gives them separation. I still don't like it.

I am not saying this is a substitute for actual double tracking, just that it is a viable technique for getting a fatter sound. It is not a recommendation, only an answer to the original question.
So yes, recording the same performance through both amps at the same time can be done and it will not sound poor. But better would be to play a performance through your Fender, and then a separate performance through your Marshall if you have the skill to do so tightly.

Just what I said...guess nobody's reading the whole post.

I love to do that when recording live, with bass and drums, you have some more options without recording (sometimes) a useless wall of guitars...

The original post said
Is recording stereo electric guitar by recording the same performance with 2 different amps (a Marshall and a Fender) going to give me a better sound in a mix than 2 performances with the same amp (double tracking)?
My query is that double tracking is a very different sound. Can't say that 'better' will be the case, but perhaps 'more appropriate' to the sound you need for the song. With real double tracking, the biggest drawback is the skill of the player.

Back