Double tracking guitar riffs with lots of vibrato

Blast

Just wondering what techniques some of you may have for double tracking riffs where the guitarist may use a lot of vibrato, artificial harmonics, or even bends. Obviously the most ideal would be to have the guitarist play those dynamics exactly the same both times, or close enough so they aren't dissonant, but this can be difficult and time consuming even for the greatest players. Is the best bet to get them as close as you can and then edit with a little pitch correction where necessary? Interested to see what people think on this. Thanks.

I recently learned something - obvious really, just hadn't thought about it re; the 'chorus effect.
Even if the mod rate is fairly slow, with a single tap that's what you get. 'slow movement.
But add a second tap with a similar but slightly different mod speed.. the combo is a fast mod rate effect.
I could see where that could be a perhaps unintended side effect of this.

It's not difficult for the greatest players, that's why they are the greatest players. They are consistent.

If you make the vibrato in time to the tempo of the song, it will be repeatable. Same thing with bends.

Pinch harmonics is just a matter of having your hand in the same place every time. It isn't terribly difficult for anyone that plays everything on purpose. (as opposed to feeling their way through everything)

If I tried real hard and still could not get almost similar vibrato/bends/harmonics on both takes...IOW, the two guitars together just sounded bad (though I honestly think it could be done with practice, and still cool even if they were noticeably different) ...and I really needed to have the double tracked thing...

...Waves ADT plug to the rescue. :)

Not sure why you would want to doubletrack a lead guitar part that way ...

I've only double tracked a lead line once, but I think it sounded really full and fat.

Funny thing is, the artist was the one who really wanted to do it and suggested it, not me!

This is something someone actually said to me. "If less is more, just think how much more MORE would be!"

Track the guitar dry and add the trem of vibe or whatever in the DAW. Sync it with a tempo map to make sure it lines up with the real tempo.

I thought he was talking about the players vibrato, from bending and shaking the strings, not tremolo.

I thought he was talking about the players vibrato, from bending and shaking the strings, not tremolo.

He was. "vibrato, artificial harmonics, or even bends". He's talking about playing technique.

He never even used the words "trem, tremolo, or vibe" in the OP.

Last edited:
Just wondering what techniques some of you may have for double tracking riffs where the guitarist may use a lot of vibrato, artificial harmonics, or even bends. Obviously the most ideal would be to have the guitarist play those dynamics exactly the same both times, or close enough so they aren't dissonant, but this can be difficult and time consuming even for the greatest players. Is the best bet to get them as close as you can and then edit with a little pitch correction where necessary? Interested to see what people think on this. Thanks.

the best players practice until they get it right.

THAT is the technique.

separates the wannabes from the got-its.

Randy Rhodes used to triple track his leads.

That's the first thing I thought of when I read the title of this thread. But then I thought, if you really listen to Rhoads' tracks, you'll hear that they're not exactly very precise in terms of doubling (or tripling in his case).

Actually, tripling generally sounds smoother than doubling because you have an average of three tracks instead of two. With two, if they're 20 cents off or so, you'll really hear it. But a third track may be right in the middle (or fairly close), so it will smooth it over.

Flame war aside...if you're having issues "sticking the landing", so to speak, and can't get the two guitar tracks to sync up due to the vibrato or other idiosyncrasies, I'd consider ditching the double tracking and try a single guitar track. It'd sound better than doubled messy guitar tracks. Give a try to some stereo widening techniques if you still want that width.

To the original poster;
Why would you want to?
I can see double tracking solos In the case of some harmony dual leads, but why try to track 2 of the same thing.

Is there a problem where the one lead track doesn't sound good?

Back