Double stereo tracks, panning and stereo image question

Cheetah

Hi. I have been cloning a stereo guitar track and panning one hard left and the other hard right with delay etc. Now when I pan to the left I'm losing the right side signal of the stereo track, right? It seems that the left pan results in me hearing only the left side of my original stereo track and visa versa for the right side. The end result being 2 guitar sounds when I want to hear 4.

What I would like to accomplish is to have the left side of my stereo image contain the left AND right channels of my original track and the right side of my stereo image contain the
same with different effects applied thereby sounding like 4 guitars. I want them panned hard so there is a wide image without clouding the center.

Can someone suggest a good way to do this or reasons why I
shouldn't be doing this?

Thank you.

Slightly confusing but.....

You have been cloning a stereo guitar track ........... how did you get this stereo track?
If you answer that I might be able to give you some advise

more info...

Ok. I am recording my guitar with a GT-3 and going
direct into n-tracks. I have the gt-3 configured to
send a signal with a stereo chorus applied to it therefore
(I think) I have a stereo guitar track being recorded.
I am assuming, maybe incorrectly, that this stereo
track has a right 'guitar' and a 'left' guitar channel, right?
I want to clone this track, pan hard on each side.
If I pan one of the cloned tracks to one side, do I lose
part of the stereo signal of that track? Do you understand what I trying to get at? It's like...
I don't want to decrease the balance of one the
channels, I want to 'move' the whole track over (let's
say to the left) so that the left side has the full stereo signal over there and there would be no sound from this track on the right. Then I would do the same to
the other original track and pan it right. I am trying
to experiment with getting a full guitar sound. Maybe
I shouldn't do it this way. I don't know. I'm learning
though...

Thanks

OK - get it
Unfortunately you are creating a problem for yourself here.
If you apply a stereo chorus effect on a track - then bounce it to disk panned to one side - you will create a total cancellation problem, it will sound pretty bad. Re-think required!

I don't know N tracks - but what you might want to try is record one track of guitar, copy that track and delay the copy by a fraction of a second.
Leave the 2 guitar tracks panned dead center and put the 2 channel combined as one signal through your chorus effect, record the chorus output onto 2 channels.

Now you have 4 channels of guitar. Pan 1 chorus channel hard left - one of the 'straight' guitar tracks at 11 o'clock - the other guitar track at 2 o'clock - the other chorus channel hard right.

one more q

Thanks. I'll try that tonight.
Just one more question, if I change my chorus to
be mono and bounced it as in my original plan would
there still be a cancellation problem?
I guess I need to do some research on phase problems.

Back