double panned guitars double miced

BRIEFCASEMANX

Winner chicken dinner!
when you double mic a cab and dual pan 2 different takes on guitar, how do you guys normally figure out eq settings for the 2 mics? Muting one of the takes and panning one take center and then eqing those tracks til they sound good and then doing the same thing with the other take? to you eq all of the takes and tracks at the same time? :confused: :confused: :cool:

We use a different approach.

Get a splitter box and split the signal. Go into the amp (and mic it) on one track and then go direct in (clean signal) on a second track. With a clean, un-amped track you can re-amp it afterward with virtually any tone, eq, delay or effects you want. Doing it this way gives you a lot more options (including more panning options) on a well-played guitar part. It lets you try out many different sounds for your second track and you're not stuck with something you don't like.

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
Muting one of the takes and panning one take center and then eqing those tracks til they sound good and then doing the same thing with the other take? :confused: :cool:
That is pretty much it. I use the mono button instead of panning.
What I do is listen to each mic and figure out which one is closest to the sound that I want. I eq that one to sound good. Then I figure out what that one is missing. I bring up the other mic and eq that one to fill in what is missing from the first one.

For example, I mic a cab with a 57 and a 421. I determine that the 57 is going to be the meat of the sound and the 421 will add some of the smooth high end and lower midrange (the 57 is 'grainier' sounding than the 421) I will eq to taste. I will pan the 57s at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock and the 421s wide. This will give you a big image that doesn't fall apart in mono.

I will mix the two or even three mics together without any effects added to get a rough sound i am looking for. I bounce these together to make it easier to mix with. Then i apply EQ and any other effects that might be needed to taste. I bounce to a mono track so no panning is done on the two/three mics. I then will track the same part again and repeat the bouncing with the same mix levels as the last tracks to get an even balance when i go to pan the two bounced tracks.

Farview said:
That is pretty much it. I use the mono button instead of panning.
What I do is listen to each mic and figure out which one is closest to the sound that I want. I eq that one to sound good. Then I figure out what that one is missing. I bring up the other mic and eq that one to fill in what is missing from the first one.

For example, I mic a cab with a 57 and a 421. I determine that the 57 is going to be the meat of the sound and the 421 will add some of the smooth high end and lower midrange (the 57 is 'grainier' sounding than the 421) I will eq to taste. I will pan the 57s at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock and the 421s wide. This will give you a big image that doesn't fall apart in mono.

Thanks man. This is pretty much what I've been doing.....with the same 2 mics to boot. It's always good to get some reassurance from the far more experienced though, ya know?

Back