don't normalize in this situation?

just to add a little more input as far as what I usually do. ... My DAT recordings come out via SPDIF straight into the computer...no gain changes at all at this point (and hopefully a transparent transfer from the DAT to the computer, as it "should be" via SPDIF). At that point, I can SEE the offending peaks that shoot up near the 0db mark, and those are the ones I can manually edit individually to back JUST those peaks down....and as noted earlier, they usually are not heard as being "louder"...just some spikes, so to speak. When I have NO peaks that go above a certain level....say -5dB or so... then that is when I am questioning about normalizing or not...if it is that much "worse" than using the Waves stuff. With one DSP, I cannot hear the difference, admittedly, but was curious as to if others could hear a difference between normalizing and using the L2 for instance. I pretty much also agree with the above post that fenix posted...that 3dB [with the L2] IS EXTREMELY transparent to me. I suppose if I was in the control room at Ocean Way, and could EASILY A/B the two, I "might" be able to hear the difference, but I think my ears are getting a tad "old" for that, at this point:(
I used to normalize before I got the Waves stuff...now I usually will edit the peaks, THEN L2 the stuff...or just L2 in only, with no prior editing.

Back