Does this short recording of acoustic guitar/vocal sound ok?

Martin321

Here's a minute or so of me playing the Mississippi John Hurt tune called My Creole Belle. It was recorded live (singing and playing at the same time).

I would like to get some feedback regarding the recording quality, keeping in mind that I'm going for a soft, relaxing, low sound.

Do you think the vocal tone and the guitar tone are clear enough on the recording? Is the overall volume of the recording ok? Can you detect any technical faults in the sound?

Any comments welcomed. Thanks.

Playing My Creole Belle by Martin321 - picosong

Last edited:
Oops, I think I should have maybe posted this in the "Mp3 Mixing clinic". Maybe a moderator can switch it over.

Seems the guitar has some very hot resonances that pop way out it level. Almost sounds like distorted when it does. (somewhere around the 200 Hz range-? Hunt for it and zero in) (The 'distortion' could be partly the an effect of it bouncing around in the verb. Hard to tell w/o hearing it dry.
Voice sounds fine.
Re the verb. IMHO -you taste trumps ours/mine.. Too much, too small (tubby' boxy'..

It seems a tiny bit bassy or boomy to me, but that may be just my taste in recordings. But boy I sure like the playing and singing though. When most people try to play Mississippi John style they fail to capture that special guitar mood, but not you. And your vocals perfectly suit that type of music. Sounds like you're playing with bare fingers (no nails) like Mississippi John does, are you?

I've used that Picosong downloader before but I don't like it, because I think mp3 files lack a tiny little bit in quality compared to other types of files. But I'm no expert.

Sounds like you're playing with bare fingers (no nails) like Mississippi John does, are you?

Yes. On the occasional note I'll alter my right hand angle and use a tiny bit of nail, but usually 99% of notes I play are with the flesh of the bare fingers/thumb.

I would put a high pass filter around 70-80Hz to eliminate some of the boomy low end and give it a slight boost around 10-12K to bring out some of the air in the high end

I would put a high pass filter around 70-80Hz to eliminate some of the boomy low end and give it a slight boost around 10-12K to bring out some of the air in the high end
It's tough to say just where things like this might actually lead, w/o the tracks in front of you, where it might lead dialing in on a solution :) Given that, my take on it was the biggest- first on the table 'aberration to dial in on could actually be a fairly narrow band cut, but an octave octave or more above that.
That's not to say that wouldn't then 'expose -and very well lead there as well :>)

Last edited:
Back